What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Surefly EIS installed, higher EGT'S?

XLS+PAT

So my left mag was getting high time, replaced it with a Surefly EIS. Install went fine and it started up on one revolution. After a couple of test flights the mag check got rough.
Once engine got nice and warm it improved enough to do another test flight. Decided to double check the timing at fixed 25 degrees BTC and found it was off by a bit. Now it's running much better.
But it seems like my EGT's run higher than before with the standard Slick mag. Anybody else seen this? BTW: Installed new plugs and harness and replaced intake gaskets and the rubber conecting tubes. This is on a Titan 0-360 with ECI cylinders, 550 total hours.

Pat
RV7 KHAF

So my left mag was getting high time, replaced it with a Surefly EIS. Install went fine and it started up on one revolution. After a couple of test flights the mag check got rough.
Once engine got nice and warm it improved enough to do another test flight. Decided to double check the timing at fixed 25 degrees BTC and found it was off by a bit. Now it's running much better.
But it seems like my EGT's run higher than before with the standard Slick mag. Anybody else seen this? BTW: Installed new plugs and harness and replaced intake gaskets and the rubber conecting tubes. This is on a Titan 0-360 with ECI cylinders, 550 total hours.

Pat
RV7 KHAF
Need to double check timing. advancing drops EGTs and retarding increases them, with all else being the same.. THerefore, it would seem that the surefly timing advance is currently less than the slicks were. Not surprising, as when points wear in a mag, the timing advances. This is why timing should be checked at least every year.

Larry

If EGTs are normal at full throttle, but high at part throttle or especially in-flight idle, check those new intake gaskets/hoses for any leaks.

Back