What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Superior Sump

DarylT

Well Known Member
I got home from work today and look what I found. My replacement sump from Superior.

Engine%20106.jpg

Engine%20107.jpg

Engine%20109.jpg

Great engine and great service. The kit comes with instructions on installation and return instrutions for the ryton sump.

That looks like.. uhhh..

.. METAL!

Been waiting for that. Looks good!

..those ARN'T plastic plugs are they??

Last edited:
That spoils all the fun

I mean there you are, 1000 miles from home and your sump explodes!...What an adventure! If I had a Superior I'd want my money back for making flying boring!..:)

Frank

I replaced my ryton sump in Feb.

Issues encountered:
1. forced to move my oil quick drain to a side port due to the obstruction of my exhaust system
2. removed my cabin heat chamber due to alternate routing and I lacked the scat tube for the re-route. Florida flying has limited use for cabin heat.

The new sump weighs about 4 lbs more than the ryton. Great news for me as I need the weight up front to compensate for my light catto prop.

Otherwise,
No changes necessary to the throttle bracket, T or M cables.
Superior has been very accomodating with this package.
They included new intake tubes, bushings, gaskets and excellent instructions for the installation process. They request a sump return and offer a reimbursment for all installation costs. I did not use an A&P but they have refunded me for my time and return shipping expense of the old sump.

The whole installation process took me 10 hours.

Nice to hear Don. Perfect time for me as I just hung the engine last weekend and I talked to Larry Vetterman yesterday about the change. I had the wrong exhaust and he is making everything good. While I have the exhaust off I will make the switch with the sump.

Larry gave me pointers on the oil drain and the sniffle valve in terms of making sure it is remote mounted. Really a great guy!

Back