What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Sport Pilot Rule

Peterk

Well Known Member
In the new sport pilot rule it says that an owner can work on an ELSA that used to be an SLSA. Huh? What's a "used-to-be" SLSA and can he just work on it or can he get a repairman's cert? Mel? Give me an example

In the new sport pilot rule it says that an owner can work on an ELSA that used to be an SLSA. Huh? What's a "used-to-be" SLSA and can he just work on it or can he get a repairman's cert? Mel? Give me an example

An S-LSA may be re-certificated as an E-LSA under part 21.191(i)(3). After this, it may no longer be used for compensation, but the owner may perform all maintenance and/or modifications just like any other experimental.

10,000 MSL or 2,000 AGL

I'm confused about a different aspect of the new rules. I live in the mountains. The peaks east of me are between 11,000 and 12,000, and there are some high plateaus around 9,000. Currently I fly using private pilot rules, so flying east I climb to 11,500 and follow canyons so as to avoid the peaks, and I'm fine.

But if I were to fly with the new light sport rules of 10,000 MSL or 2,000 AGL, whichever is higher, it seems like I couldn't do this. Flying up the canyons, I'd never be above 2,000 AGL, so I guess I'd have to stay under 10,000 MSL. Then I suppose when I came to the 9,000 ridge, I'd have to watch my altitude pretty carefully, exactly following the terrain, so that I never exceeded 2,000 AGL. Sometimes the slope of the terrain might exceed the climb (or descent) capabilites of a light sport aircraft, so I guess I might have to break the rules and start my a little early and exceed 2,000 AGL before I got to the ridge.

Does anyone know how these rules are really supposed to work? If you follow them exactly (as lawyers are liable to do), they seem to be quite unusable. This is a question that concerns me regarding a decision to build an RV-12 or not (because then I'd want to let my medical lapse and need to follow these strange rules).

and apply for a repairman's certificate I assume to do conditions...on that aircraft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back