What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New RVator Subaru Article

djvdb63

Gent's & Ladies...those interested in alternative engines...and particularly the Subaru...and more specifically the Eggenfellner issue...will want to read this piece from the latest RVator. Pages 12-14. DD is one of the sources in this piece. Downloadable in .pdf format free from Van's website. Direct link here:

http://www.vansaircraft.com/RVator/2009/4-2009-RVator.pdf

Dan
Chicago
Still stuck on the 9A tailkit...

Gent's & Ladies...those interested in alternative engines...and particularly the Subaru...and more specifically the Eggenfellner issue...will want to read this piece from the latest RVator. Pages 12-14. DD is one of the sources in this piece. Downloadable in .pdf format free from Van's website. Direct link here:

http://www.vansaircraft.com/RVator/2009/4-2009-RVator.pdf

And a friend of ours, has the same exact issues with his new RV8....

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Subie Cooling Issues

Many of the same issues that are being experienced by the subie installers are also faced by other "alternative" engine installers. The disappointment for many is that they thought they were buying a "firewall forward" set up where all the beta testing should already be completed. Since this obviously isn't the case if I were a Subie installer I would consider some other options which have been shown to successfully cool engines of similar horsepower. I am placing a fairly large radiator under my rotary engine and and using a James "rotary" cowling aka P-40ish looking to bring the air to it. An RV-7A builder has already been flying with that set up for a few years with no cooling issues so I plan on copying his installation and will hopefully not have any issues from day one...

Doug Lomheim
RV-9A, 13B, FWF

The funny part of that article for me was that my RV-9 with the 135 HP O-290-D2 and a climb prop would cruise along at 165 mph / 140 knots, which is the just 3 knots slower than his 200 H-6.

Something is wrong those engines if that is all the performance you could get out of them.

Two at one field.

The aircraft in the article is located a few hangars down from mine. Jerry is now very happy with his Lyclone installation. Across the ramp is another 7A that started life with the 4 banger super-charged egg and has now installed a IO-390.

Me too...

I bought the Egg STI version, a 4-cylinder, supercharged engine back when I started the project. It had the rev. 1 gear box when it arrived, then I did the recommended upgrade (at my cost) to the rev. 2 gear box, along with several engine mods. Then the rev. 2 gear box was deemed not airworthy and I was about to spend more $ to upgrade again, but enough was enough. I removed the Egg engine (I tried to sell it, but it is still sitting in my shop) and got an IO-320 from Aero Sport Power. I had about $40K in the Egg engine when I abandoned it. 18 months after I received the new Lyc engine, I had my first flight in my RV-9A (July 4, 2009). I put the Precision Airmotive EAGLE EMS in this engine, sort of making the Lycoming into a modern engine -- I am amazed at the fine performance of the EAGLE system -- at least one thing I did right.

Could you please tell us more about the Eagle EMS system? I have been extremely interested in this system. I think you have one of the first customer RVs flying and i would like to here more about it.

Larry

Back