What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New RV14 Builder

Patrick777

I'm New Here
Patron
Hi everyone

First post on this great forum
Ordered my RV14 emp and fuselage kit at Oshkosh
Initially kit status said September October for crating
Now it’s May,June 24 and Quickbuilds are now 18months +
I sincerely hope it’s going to be faster than that

Don’t want waste a winter of building
Anyone that can hazard a guess about the reason
My suspicion is that they decided on a solution for the laser
And that drives the kit production time

Regards Patrick

Anyone that can hazard a guess about the reason

Laser cut parts remediation would be my guess. They have to swap production of hundreds of laser cut parts to punched parts. Once tooling is in place and production ramps up (months?) they need to start replacing laser cut parts that were already shipped (months?). They also need to replace their inventory of laser cut parts overseas for QB kits (months?). And finally, once enough inventory has been built up, they need to ship new kits so their cash flow stays healthy.

It's gonna be a loooong winter for many of us :-(

I spoke to someone from the kit team last week about the lead times they had posted online because I didn't believe them. The chart that was there last week was from July 6th, which was right when the laser cut parts were hitting the fan. The info I got from the kit team member was that it would be early 2024 for a RV-14 fuselage kit. It appears they updated their lead time chart on Friday of last week (8/25).

RV14A Tail kit ordered

I just order the tail kit as well. Looking forward to the build. The bright side of having to wait until May June next year is that I will have lots of time to set up the work area and gather tools haha.

Back