What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New RV-9A

whd721

Well Known Member
Another RV9A journey begins.
My Empennage kit is at Synergy Air for the end of October class. By early November, I should know if I have the enthusiasm to do this. I have most of the tools for a good starter set and two EAA work benches. I have belonged to EAA for about 30 years and to Chapter 105 for nearly 20 years, but life and family held me back.
My current plan is to build a RV9A QB, O-320, FP, x-country VFR (All Subject to change).

Good Disease

Time, dedication and money is all you need (but hard to come by at times).

I sit at work thinking about what I can accomplish on the plane once I get home. A year and a half on the project and I'm working on the tailcone. This plane will fly because of the three elements above.

The satisfaction and accomplishment you will have once you fly the plane you built has to be priceless. Both are high on my personal scale already.

Enjoy the journey,

You may have so much fun building the empannage that you will want to go the slow build route to spread out the joy.

slow build fun

The slow build costs less and IS more fun.

I like the idea of doing most of the work myself.

Of course there are those that "mock" us matched-hole kit builders;

REAL men build from scratch........

Enjoy!

Dave
RV9A slow build just finishing up the wings

As time goes on, I've found that I really enjoy the build.

I hated it at first, because I didn't know what I was doing. But as I've learned more, I've really started to find joy in it.

The only exception is deburring the edges of metal - I hate that. I have found that pacing myself by working on a piece for 5 min and then leaving it for something else. Every now and then, I'll walk by and spend 5 min working on it. Camping out for one long deburring session is hard on your hands, neck, and enthusiasm.

Every day, when I finish working, I really don't want to quit. It's nice to set your goals for the day and when you've met them, you know you've made good progress.

I'm still going to QB route, simply because I don't have a plane to fly so I want to wrap up the -10 as soon as I possibly can. But after it's finished, I think I will probably try something smaller like an -8 or -7 and go the slow build route.

If you get a good start (and it sounds like you will with the training) I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Phil

New RV9A

I would like to thank all who welcomed me on this journey. I am eagerly looking forward to the Empennage class in only two more weeks.

I should have resources, Van's is about thirty miles down the road. Beaverton, OR is a nest of RV activity, all good.

My biggest issue is the small garage in this house and my hangar (big) but now Forty miles away (recent move). I think now I will move from the empennage to a Quickbuild fuselage then finishing kit then firewall forward and lastly quickbuild wings.

Any guidance on this roadmap?

Bill DeLacey

QB for sure

Welcome Bill,
A good choice you made. We built a QB -6A and it still took almost two years. We were blown away by the quality of the construction....absolutely excellent work which we tried hard to duplicate. I'd go QB again...in a heartbeat, because life is short and you don't know what's around the corner. We wanted to fly quickly, not necessarily build as much, the main reason for going QB. Don't be misled, there is still a heckuva lot of work to do. All you really save is a lot of rivetting.

Regards,

SB vs QB

I don't have the cash to build the QB kit so I am building the Sl..... Standard build kit. If I had to do it all again, and I had the cash to go QB, I still wouldn't. Building this plane has been the most fun. My sone dropped by for the weekend and helped me a bit on the left wing skins. After bucking some 45+ rivets he commented that he wouldn't mind driving the 160 miles each weekend (320 mi. round trip) to help me some more. I welcomed the effort.

I enjoy the building process too. But I have to agree with Pierre that the QB kit is beautiful. There is no way that I can duplicate it. Keep pounding the rivets, and sanding the fiberglass, and pulling the wires, and .... At the end you will be awarded the most wonderful "time machine". It transports you from point A to point B in a most pleasurable way. Now I enjoy every moment I fly. Of course, there is this continuing maintenance, improvement, and learning process. This is a hobby that keeps you mentally and physically fit and open up opportunities to go places and meet nice people. Welcome to the RV club/family.

Me three ... or is that me seven or eight? As an RV builder said to me 2 years ago (before I took the plunge) ,"Do I enjoy it? Heck, building this airplane is the most fun I've ever had with my pants on." I've always been a problem solver, and in the building process, there's no end to the methods and approaches one can take throughout. You're constantly devising clever and better ways to do things. But yet, IF you get stuck on something, you can turn to VAF or the web to find out how other guys solved it. The builder community is truly fantastic. Great people everywhere you turn.
I'm wrapping up my QB fuse and wings and about to order finish kit; and this airplane building "thing" is just more fun than anyone likely deserves. :D:D:D

Back