What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New RV-8 Owner just home from Oklahoma

humptybump

Well Known Member
A lot of first to speak of but the two biggest are I now own an RV-8 and I just flew in home to Virgina from Oklahoma.

The trip writeup has none of the excitement, beautiful sand beaches or spectacular sunsets of "some other trip report" ;) But it was definitely a personal accomplishment.

I wanted to share the write-up with family and friends so it's over on my blog. (Plus I needed way more words and big pictures than I wanted to burden VAF with.)

I bought a plane and flew it from Oklahoma ... sorry, it's not a catchy new song ...

I loves me my RV grin !

Last edited:
rv-8

Glen congrats on the plane and the trip! I really enjoyed reading your story.

Regards,

John
-----------------------
Rv-6a, 180 hp constant speed

Not sure what to say except congratulations and thanks for sharing.

This story and the updates are the stuff of dreams.

As we started our RV-8 adventures around the same time, I feel a connection to your comments.

George

Last edited:
Stealing you sig :)

Thanks George. And I hope you won't mind if I steal that quote in you signature. I have some dear and now old pilot friends who will take some comfort and a chuckle from those words.

Congratulations

on your purchase. I enjoyed reading about your trip. As someone who was born, raised, and learned to fly in VA it made me anxious to come back and do a little sight seeing from the air and visit family and friends. Enjoy your RV!

Another unforgettable day!

A big congratulations on the whole "plan" to find and own a nimble, light and fast RV. Persistence pays:)

Congratulations,

Thanks Pierre,

Persistence and patience !

BTW - if the airial spraying community is as small as I think it is, you may know a friend of mine; our last local guy up here on the Eastern Shore - "Carter Crabb" !

Makes us sound like some kind of cult. I guess that's about right...

Hmmm ... I didn't mean to make us sound like a cult :). Perhaps I should have said "dedicated" rather than "believers" ! Then again, I could have said "committed" which might refer to our state of mind *or* state of body :)

Last edited:
This is a great story. I embarked on my own purchase and ferry about a month ago and we have similar tales. Words cannot describe everything that goes into a venture like this but as you described it I was quite familiar with how to fill in the blanks. Congrats!! I am going to have to fly down there and check out your new airport. (my other dream is to own my own strip) Perhaps you should have an RV fly-in. No builders, only purchasers!! :D:D Just kidding, if something broke we wouldn't know what to do!!

Please make sure your runway is smooth for my arrival....I have an "A" model!!

I embarked on my own purchase and ferry about a month ago and we have similar tales.

Knowing I was going to be right behind you on the "buy & fly" I read your trip report many times and the lessons learned. I definitely added a few additional safety decision points based on your experience. As a matter of fact, when the cloud cover started filling in as I neared Wayne County Airport, I immediately recalled the similar point in your trip. I'm glad you shared your experience. It helped me more than once!

The Ocean City MD airshow is coming up early June and Team RV will be performing. You can be assured there will be a bunch of RV's there, if just because of their presence. I know I will be there, my wife says so. :)

glen, nice going. it is the long xc trips that stick in ower minds each year. hope it isnt your last. ill be passing overhead in early june as your are right on my route , V1, going from FL to CT. love the area of fields and closeness to the ocean. keep a lookout for a 6a passing through in 1st week of june. good luck with your new purchase.
imgresce.jpg

Turbo - if you feel like a pit-stop, drop into KMFV. I'd be happy to zip over to the airport and pick you guys up for a bite to eat and a little "chat up" !

Way to go and accomplish that dream and...

You did something we all dream about. Flying from our own private strip, learning to fly and going cross country.
Makes me wonder if you heard voices like Kevin Costner? That is very beautiful. Let me know if you are ever in this area, I'll buy dinner!

Thanks for the post!

Learning

Learning to fly is as a lot about learning one's self. There are so many bounaries which have been imposed, either by nurture or nature. We break those bonds when we learn to fly. It truly is an amazing experience. I had almost forgotten ... like a old memory you question if it was ever so.

I'm thankful I've found a wonderful airplane in which to re-awaken the dream.

Back