What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New RV-14A Builder

Pvtpil8

I'm New Here
Hello, Just started a few weeks back on my RV-14A slow build and had a few issues already. I bought a started Kit. Empennage was done and beautiful. Everything there is great, i just missed where VANS does the teaching in the plans in those section and expects you to know it all the later sections.

I started with the wings. Hmm tough start. Idid pretty well with the j-channels, and after a few glitches on the countersinks they came out pretty good second one was very good. Next was the dimpling of the ribs. Yes i dimpled the top of the 4 inboard ribs.

A friend of mine shared the WIKI bringing me here. 1) Looking at the posts i realized many have done that. In the process of flattening those out now and on to the next thing.

i wish looked at this before doing a few things would have save me time and frustration. Trust me I will from this point out. Thanks for all the posts and help for aluminum beginners like me.

PS I built a Velocity before this is a whole new set of skills.

Thanks Steve 7FL6

Last edited:
Hello, Just started a few weeks back on my RV-14A slow build and had a few issues already. I bought a started Kit. Empennage was done and beautiful. Everything there is great, i just missed where VANS does the teaching in the plans in those section and expects you to know it all the later sections.

I started with the wings. Hmm tough start. Idid pretty well with the j-channels, and after a few glitches on the countersinks they came out pretty good second one was very good. Next was the dimpling of the ribs. Yes i dimpled the top of the 4 inboard ribs.

A friend of mine shared the WIKI bringing me here. 1) Looking at the posts i realized many have done that. In the process of flattening those out now and on to the next thing.

i wish looked at this before doing a few things would have save me time and frustration. Trust me I will from this point out. Thanks for all the posts and help for aluminum beginners like me.

PS I built a Velocity before this is a whole new set of skills.

Thanks Steve 7FL6

Welcome, Steve. If you're interested, there's at least one -14(A) at Spruce Creek and a few other Van's a/c there. Also you are welcome to take a look at my -14A at KSFB (Sanford).

_Alex

Last edited:
Back