What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New RV-10 Service Letter (Jan 15, 2007)

FlyerJumper

Well Known Member
Anyone notice the service letter regarding the motor mount clearance issue for Lycoming clones?

Motor/Motor Mount Interference

I'm not at this stage yet, but thought it worth pointing out. Van's doesn't highlite their Letters & Notices too much, only their Bulletins.

Thanks for passing this along. There are a few points that should be understood by individuals who are either new to the list or are still in the homework phase of engine selection. Primarily, the Barrett Precision Engines IO-540-X is not a "clone" engine. It is made of all new Lycoming components sold from Lycoming to us as part of their kit program. The only exception is the cold air induction sump, plenum and pipes which Monty designed almost 20 years ago for use in the experimental arena. In some cases, the compression ratio is increased at the request of the airplane builder using propriety pistons. Oops, and we use silicone rocker box gaskets made by Superior. Other than that, all OEM certified parts are used on the 540. Of course the IO-540-X is also available with the stock sump.

There is a clearance issue with the mount. I do have a local source for the modification needed on the mount and am happy to pass that along to anyone who is interested or intends to use the modified IO-540-X with cold air induction. This individual has modified the RV-10 engine mount with the standard sump. We are meeting with him over the next few days, and we will provide the engine mount modification to you as a value added service with your engine at no additional charge.

For those of you who have already taken delivery of your engine equipped with Barrett Cold Air, please contact me for assistance in getting your mounts modified.

Re: Van's advisement about going with standard hp, this is a debate for you as builders, and each individual has different needs and wants. We have always recommended moderation in increasing the hp. Van's has an interest in selling you a stock Lycoming engine. I doubt very seriously that he is selling them to you at cost!

Thank for your continued support.

Back