What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New RV-10 Builder

majuro15

Well Known Member
Hey Everyone,

I've been browsing this site for the past several months while doing research for a build. I thought I'd finally post an intro on here to thank everyone for all the opinions and advice posted!

I have just over 200 hours with my SEL Inst rating. I've been looking for a partnership on a 172/182 lately but come to realize that in the long run, it's expensive and just not what my wife and I are wanting.

So, we have decided to take the plunge and build our own comfortable IFR airplane! I love working on / building things (used to race street bikes with WERA and CCS and now build/fly huge RC helicopters!) so the build really intrigues me. I also am looking long term at having a new, reliable, and custom built airplane for us for less than the cost of a certified plane and without the hassles of partnership. Finally, I like the idea of saving money over the life of the plane being able to do my own maintenance and having a new engine / airframe. We especially like that advantage because knowing everything and more about what you trust your life to is important and I think makes you a better aviator!

So, I ordered the plans today for the empenage kit. I'll read through them and study while waiting on my EAA workshop in October. I'm also starting to collect tools and finish my garage which will be the workshop. Building will hopefully kick off after the EAA workshop and a lot of practice with scrap!

Long term goals are to finish the kit in 4 years (yes, a long time but budget and full time job / Air National Guard dictates the time frame) and have a very nice, fully finished airplane for us to enjoy for a long time.

I've emailed some folks about local builders and contacted Van's east coast rep for a ride in their 10. I'm planning on going to Sun 'n Fun for two days to do a lot of research and ask questions about details, but tentatively plan for an Experimental IO-540, 3 bladed CS prop, full interior with some bells and whistles, and a Skyview panel with all of their integrated accessories (although in 3-4 years, who knows what will be available!).

Long intro, but looking forward to the project and am excited about joining the online VAF!

-Tim-

Welcome

Congratulations on a great decision!
It sounds like you are the perfect candidate for an RV builder.
Your goals and expectations are very realistic and your reasons for wanting an experimental aircraft are valid.
I have only one complaint so far...
Get that empenage kit now and get started as soon as you can.
Attending a work shop is a great experience and I would recommend it but local help is usually easy to find especially when building a RV.

Welcome to VAF!

Tim,
welcome.gif
to the good ship VAF.

Good to have another 10 builder on board, they are great aircraft:D

Yep

Welcome to VAF, Tim.

If you have any difficulty getting a -10 ride, I'm not that far from you and you can get some left seat time in mine...bring your wife too. I'm in Louisville, Ga. 2J3.

Great decision on a great airplane!

Best,

Hi Tim,

I'm also in the Charlotte area and plan to start building a -14 this Fall. Send me a PM when you get a chance.

Regards,

Ken

October!! You are comitted... just do it! :)
Order the practice kits, watch some EAA videos, and practice on those.
Then get started! Order the tail kit and, while its shipping, get the garage ready. You'll be building by the end of next month! Still attend the EAA workshop if you feel you need it, but don't let that delay you.

The kit starts off really easy with step by step instructions and gradually grows in difficulty. I didn't get my first ride in an RV-10 until I was 6 months into my build and it surpassed all of my expectations. It is an amazing airplane!

Thanks for the welcomes!

The October start date has another hidden agenda, time to finish our house renovation. The wife loves the idea of an airplane, but only after we finish our formal living room and the random bits of trim that are still missing from the walls!

The more I research and read / watch, the less excited about the classes I get. We'll see. I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing and not mess up the building of the kit!

Thanks for the welcomes!

The October start date has another hidden agenda, time to finish our house renovation. The wife loves the idea of an airplane, but only after we finish our formal living room and the random bits of trim that are still missing from the walls!

The more I research and read / watch, the less excited about the classes I get. We'll see. I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing and not mess up the building of the kit!

Welcome and congratulations on making the decision. Like you I was very worried about screw ups. In fact if memory serves me right I did screw up on the very first page (trying to take the bow out of a part). But it was good to screw it up because I learned so much and eased my worries. Something I have learned thus far is that almost every screw up can be fixed in some form. If you are not happy with the fix or can't fix it you can always buy a replacement part and move on.

You have a good plan..

Tim, the SportAir Workshop is a great idea. I attended the Alum 101 course in Oshkosh several times, also had another builder guide me through his tools and practiced a bit. I thought I was ready to go, but attended the Sportair workshop with my wife (because SHE needed experience). :D Well, I can tell you that 1) it was bonding experience for us, 2) she learned a lot, and 3) I learned a lot of stuff I didn't know before. I wouldn't second guess yourself about the class. It was great! We also now have the little wing thing we made hanging up on our shop wall to remind us how far we've come. We both signed and dated it in Sharpie (good idea). Enjoy the build and don't feel rushed by anyone else. Some guys spit these out in 18 months (don't ask me how). Others take decades. You'll find the pace that's right for you and your family.

Being dynamic, I've decided to take advantage of Sun 'n Fun and do a one day workshop down there for just the price of admission! I'm spending the second day to enjoy the airshow and talk to all the vendors to do some more research.

I'm trying to do some research on powerplants now and what all is included in a typical purchase. I'd really like to get a 0 time non-certified engine but a couple of the sites don't list the 540 as available. Any have any suggestions?

Lastly, which do most folks purchase first, engine or avionics?

Tim & Ken,

You must join EAA 309, if you haven't already done so!

There are a number of RV builders in the chapter. One member has a very nice -10 keeps down at Rockhill.

There are a lot of RV resources in the chapter, make sure to use it, the help is there for the asking.

Bill,

I just found the 309 website this weekend and when I get home from TDY, I plan on attending the meeting and joining! The Tuesday night build nights look fun too!

To answer your question, leave avionics purchases for as long as you can.
They change so fast you don't want them to be too obsolete.

I agree with Bob. Leave the avionics decisions until a couple of years down the road. The engine can wait too. You build the Emp/Cone first, then the wings, then the fuse, then the finishing kit. You don't need an engine until you are most of the way through the finishing kit. You really don't need the avionics (or anything electrical, except maybe leading edge landing lights) until after the engine installation. Building works great this way because you start with the low ticket items and make the big purchases at the end, which gives you time to save up and you also get newer stuff. I wouldn't even think about avionics yet except to try to get a little flying time behind several different systems while building, both to see what they are capable of and to encourage yourself in the build.

You really don't need to purchase the engine or the avionics until you get a lot closer. Once you get the empicone, wings and fuse close to completion, you can start looking for those items. Engines don't like to sit around for long periods of time and they just take up building space. Avionics are changing and improving at a fast pace. Wait as long as you can with those.
I believe if you want a 0 time engine, you now have to go straight to Lycoming. They have increased the price of the "parts kit" to the outside shops, to the point of making it impossible for them to compete. I know that Aerosport no longer sells the 540 "0" time engine. With that said, you can purchase an overhauled engine from many of the re-builders, Aerosport, Barrett, etc.
The advantage of going to Lycoming through Vans is that Vans gives you a large discount if you also purchase the Hartzell prop at the same time. To take advantage of this offer I believe you have to have the entire kit ordered.

To take advantage of this offer I believe you have to have the entire kit ordered.

It's not strictly enforced, but I would say you need to have purchased the majority of the kits. Due to timing of the airshow specials, I ordered mine before I ordered the last kit.

Getting ever so close to starting my build. The garage, ahem, hanger, is now fully insulated, electric infield with 120 and 240' drywalled and painted. Just the master bedroom to finish and then I'll be epoxying the garage floor and building work benches. Can't wait to get started! Learning so much from EAA and snooping around on here!

Back