What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New RV-10 Builder..

Anitech

Hi All,

I jumped in and have an empanage on its way!

I am planning on buying the Isham BASIC tool set with some deleted tools as I already have some of them.

I have a few questions for the experienced ones:

1. Are the optional squeezer yokes, Longeron and 4" thin, worth the money?
2. Are two EAA benches the best solution or is there a better one?
3. What are the pros and cons of the swivel flush set upgrade?

Also, just to let everybody know, I have a CNC Mill and Lathe if anyone needs something done or has some ideas for improved parts.

Thanks in advance....

SteveM

Hah! This time *I* get to be the first to say "Welcome Aboard!" :D So, glad to have you with us.

Most of the answers to your questions will vary but we're all happy to give your our opinions. Here are mine:
1. The longeron yoke is very useful and definitely worth the money. Thw one. I guess it depends on how much your money is worth ...

2. Best solution for what? I have a surplus 10' folding table that I use as a workbench. I can resurface it as needed by keeping a sheet of particle board on top. I also have a hollow door blank on sawhorses for when I need a very flat surface. I built the tail parts on those, except for the horizontal stab which was final-assembled in a set of cradles I made. The tail cone was assembled on another pair of sawhorses. The mid-fuse is on a pair of swivel-stands meant to support lumber being fed into a planer or such (it is standing on end so I can rivet the skins) while the forward fuselage is on three more sawhorses. The assembled fuselage will go on a rolling cart that you can find ideas for by searching the forums. And I just got another pair of sawhorses for the wing assembly, which will go into cradles as soon as the leading edge is on.

More important than work benches, though, is storage. I have six 8' shelving units plus four restaurant style wire racks - two on wheels. Plus I have a university surplus desk, file cabinet, electronics bench, and a large chest of drawers. It's not enough. Also an A-frame tool rack and a rolling tool cabinet. There's a lot of tools and bits and pieces to keep track of - organize now to make your life easier.

3. None. Some people swear by them, others at them. It's really how well it works for you.

And you will find your mill wonderfully useful. I've been sparing because I don't have one myself but an RV-7 builder I know does. He's milled some of the small parts for me but the most wonderful one yet was the anchors for the control stick attachment to the spars. I'm not sure it can be well done with hand tools, though I have made much from bar stock using a hacksaw, vixen file, and scotchbrite wheel. Just don't let other nearby builders find out you have it or you may not have time for building. ;)

Last edited:
Welcome Steve, you will have a lot of fun with this project. Definitely a learning experience. You will want that longeron yoke, it gets used a lot. I have a 4" no hole yoke too, but don't recall using it. Do you have a pneumatic squeezer? If not, bite the bullet and buy one, this is a big airplane with lots of rivets. Agree with the shop advice, storage is important.

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Steve, welcome aboard:D

Great plane, the 10.

It is a lot of work, but worth every bit of it.

There is a huge volume of info here, learn to use the "search" function, also, check out the builder tips area.

Enjoy!!

You da man

Good choice for starting a 10.....sooner is always better than latter!!!:D

Welcome and feel free to ask your questions!!!

Congratulations on the kit.

Yes the additional yokes are worth the money. In my opinion, most new riveters should use the squeezer anytime they can. It will more give you more consisent results. Also, make sure to the the adjustable rivet set holder for the yoke. Isham will ship you a fixed distance holder and you will have to select washers to get the proper spacing if not.

I built my own version of the tables with a little larger work suface and I was glad I did. I also carpeted the top of both with a removable piece of carpet runner. It saves the part from scratches etc.

I did not think that the swivel flush set worked for me. I tried it and stuck with my old surplus extemely short flush set.

Go to Costco or Sams and purchase at least 3 shelf units to store your parts.

Have fun!

Bill

Last edited:
At least 3. From time to time the subject of man caves comes up. I thought there was a thread on them but the only thing I could find had three posts a few years back, some scattered postings, and a nice writeup by our host on building in a two-car garage. I started over 15 years ago in the living room of a 2-bedroom apartment building the empennage and then wings for my RV-6A before moving into a garage and finally into a hangar. I'm now building the RV-10 in a 44 foot T-hangar. Over the years I've accumulated and discarded tools and other equipment for my ever-changing shop and thought I'd finally get around to writing up my current set-up. It's hardly penultimate or even set to suit everyman, but it works for me - for now. You can see it at my wiki.

Maybe we should set up a shop thread - Show us your RV workshop or Show us your man cave... The question always seems to come up.

Welcome!

Welcome!

Theres been good advice so far. I'd like to chime in that if you do decide to build the EAA tables make sure you use a larger board on top than it calls for so you have a lip all the way around the bench for clamping things to. I put carpet on mine too, which makes it a little nicer.

Or, if you want to be a baller like Rudi then you can build a table like he did: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=1624

As Bill mentioned, I will reiterate the need to get the adjustable set holder for the squeezer if you go pnematic. I didnt get one at first... then ended up buying one after I found out how irritating it was changing washers all the time.

Thanks to All

I want to thank all that commented, I will make the adjustments to my tool order.

Also, as was asked, my kit number is 41084. It was purchased in May, 2010 by the original builder and was started up to the first riveting but no farther.

It has been re-crated and should be here by the end of the week.

Thanks again....

Steve

Back