What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New RV-10 builder

jwilbur

Well Known Member
I've been reading VAF for about a year. Then several weeks ago I contacted Tim Lewis about seeing his 10. What a great looking airplane. Tim allowed my wife and me to sit together in the plane while it sat in the hangar. I had a great time "flying" around in my mind while my wife just couldn't get over the elbow room.

I got my PPL only in 2009 and though we've enjoyed some nice times in the 172 I was renting, renting just isn't of any practical use to us (not to mention the elbow room). I thought about purchasing an old airplane, but decided against that for various reasons. Building seemed like a great option and a great opportunity.

When we got out of Tim's 10 that morning, I knew the RV-10 was the airplane I wanted to build and fly. I was satisfied. But then Tim made my week when he offered to take us for a flight. Two of my boys and I climbed in for a great ride. Tim even offered me the chance to demonstrate my (lack of) piloting "skill." Aside from commercial aircraft, it was the first time I had flown in an airplane other than a 172. Thank you, Tim, for your generosity! It was very memorable. Getting out of the airplane back on the ground, before I could say anything, my wife said, "You've got to build one of these." Now that's support.

Over the last several weeks, I've been gathering tools, I joined EAA (I'll be joining the manasses, VA chapter), I've been destroying the practice kit I got from Van's, and I've been reading VAF. This afternoon, finally, I purchased the RV-10 emp kit. #41150.

I have no metal working experience, but am looking forward to learning, and am glad there are so many people willing to answer questions and help. My first question is about build-logs. What are the regulations and can I get some recommendations about this process?

Sincerely,
-Joe Wilbur

Welcome to VAF, Joe, and welcome to the wide world of homebuilding! You picked a great one and I am sure you will enjoy your project. Don't hesitate to ask whatever you want. Since you just joined EAA, plan a trip to Oshkosh next year and really get the full dose.

Bob Kelly

snip... and am glad there are so many people willing to answer questions and help. ...snip

You are absolutely right about that! Several hundred RV-10 builders on this board. Welcome aboard, Joe. Very nice to meet you.

As for the build logs you asked about, I used a simple three ring notebook with lined paper listing the dates that I worked on the project, what I was working on and for how long. Occasionally I would tape in a picture. It doesn't have to be on the computer, and it doesn't have to cost more than two dollars.

All you have to do is prove you built it.

br,
dr

PS: Again, welcome!!!

Last edited:
If you want to see one being built

Joe,

I am in Leesburg VA and am almost finished with my fus if you ever want to stop by let me know and I will PM you my address. The 10 is a lot of fun to build. If you stop by I can show you all the mistakes I made so you dont have to make them :)

John

Welcome to VAF Joe! We met at the last 186 Chapter meeting. The offer to come over and get your hands dirty still stands. Give me a shout anytime - (703) 595-5453.

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Joe, as was already said-----good choice on the 10.

You are at the right place for info on building the plane, and if you keep your eyes open, there are a lot of good deals on tools, and parts, here as well.

I figure I have saved many thousands of $$$ by using the classifieds on VAF.:D

Joe,

Re builders logs, I simply noted on the plans the step that I started each day with, and also noted my total time at the end of each section. Also made note directly on the plans of any substitutions or deviations of parts, equipment selections, etc.

Jim Berry
N15JB
Phase I

I just had my inspection about 10 days ago, the inspector never asked to see any documentation of the build.

He had, however seen the project last spring, so was aware of what I was doing.

I made notes on the plans, kept a notebook of all the various planning sketches, as built notes, etc, and took photos of the work I had done, and had a CD of all the photos in my book.

I kept a log right on the plans. I would just write the date and time spent on each page when I worked on it. Take photos with you doing work on it. You might have to show the log book and photos to get the repairmen's certificate.

It doesn't take long to determine if someone built there own plane, just ask a few questions and you'll get your answer. If you plan on building it yourself the log is not as important as Rick said , the inspector did not even ask. Obviously , Rick built at least most of his 10.
Our rules here in Canada are very similiar to yours, and this is my third build. I kept track and logged my time on my first build but not on the others. I recall the inspector asking on my Super Cub what was the minimum control cable diameter aloud. I answered that I had no idea, but that 1/8" was what was required for the Super Cub. He said that is exactly the answer he needed. Stating that I did not need to know the information for all aircraft and not professing that I had that knowledge, but knowing the information for the aircraft I was building.
My point is logging your build time in my opinion, is more crutial if you are getting help with the build as you will certainly not have as much knowledge of your aircraft. Depending on the type of help you recieve. If someone shows you how to do something, rather than assemble the wings for example.
Ron

Joe,

If you stop by I can show you all the mistakes I made so you dont have to make them :)

John

John, I would appreciate this very much. My email is "joewilbur777 at gmail dot com". Thank you. And I appreciate very much the comments and logging suggestions and the welcome from everyone.

-Joe

Last edited:
Welcome to VAF...

....and the -10 family keeps growing. I'm in Georgia at 2J3 and if you're ever in the neighborhood, some left seat time will be on me.

Best,

For my RV-10, I use expercraft.com it is free and works great. keeps track of time and cost and just about anything you might want it to do. check it out it is free.

www.expercraft.com

my log is http://websites.expercraft.com/jcrv10 check it out

Slow Build wings just started in the fluting mode.:)

I used Expercraft as well. It allows you to attach up to three photo's to each entry. It is free and works great. I kept printed copies of each entry and put them all together in a notebook when I went to apply for my repairman's certificate. That might have been overkill, but the FSDO inspector was impressed.;)

....and the -10 family keeps growing. I'm in Georgia at 2J3 and if you're ever in the neighborhood, some left seat time will be on me.

Best,

Pierre,

This is very generous of you. If I find myself within 100 miles of your area, I'm not sure it would be even possible to pass up an offer like this.

Thank you,
-Joe

Welcome Joe

I am just over the hill from you preparing for tailcone to fuselage mating. Good to see more RV-10 posts on here lately! Don't hesitate to ask questions on here. "Search" works most of the time so I do that first. I also have only flown the 172, RV-9A, and the RV-10. What little time I have in them has been super! The wife and two kids can't wait for us to finish. Take care and have fun building.

Welcome!

Hi and welcome!

Take Pierre and others up on their offers for sure. Matter of fact, we met Pierre and rode in his -10. It was AWESOME. (Thanks again Pierre!) It's kind of neat being able to visit a -10 every couple of months or so because depending on where you are on the build it will give you a whole new insight and appreciation on the very small details of that area of the plane. Frequent contact with the community has been a key part of my wife and my build experience so far. We had zero experience with metal working or anything close to it. We're both IT geeks :cool: but we're making it through ok so far. Motivation coupled with support from such a great group of people makes for a good bet that you will end up with an amazing machine.

Back