What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New RV-10 builder

blahphish

Well Known Member
Hi everyone. Long time listener, first time caller. I figured its time to finally come out of lurking. My wife Brandi and I decided to build a -10. We converted our carport into an airplane factory and bought a completed empennage kit. The wing kit arrives in a week. I'm excited as ****, as most of you can appreciate.

Even at this early stage in the process of the build, I can say that I've never seen a community in any other hobby or any other format that is great as this one. Every person that I have encountered has been friendly, helpful, and enthusiastic to say the least. Kudos to you for being awesome!

Now hopefully I have flattered you all sufficiently to tolerate the inevitable barrage of "how do you fix it when you mess up xyz part" :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Brian Unrein

Last edited:
Welcome aboard, we all asked our share of questions and now will be glad to answer what we can.
Ron

Welcome indeed. First (unsolicited) tip. Don't assume that you have to screw stuff up too often. I've not had to order a new, builder messed up part, or call and bug the guys at Vans, so far with 1.5 airplanes built. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'm just saying it can be done :). It did take me until the second build to drill my finger, so I have plenty of time to catch up. You're current excitement will hopefully be with you for many years to come as is mine.

Welcome, Brian, and if you want to see a -10 being built...

...come on down to Sandersville, Ga (OKZ) some weekend. You can also get a ride, left seat, in mine. I'm at 2J3, Louisville, Ga. Bring the missus too.

Best,

Thanks for the warm welcomes.

Doug - Thanks! My talented wife is a web developer so it was only natural for her to put together a site for us.

Scott - I hope you're right :)

Pierre - We would LOVE to. Maybe we could come down on the 23rd or 24th. I'll message you and we can figure something out.

Welcome!

I see that you bought Geoff's extra tail kit. Did he talk you into picking up one of all his other RV-10 goodies while you were in town?

bob

Geoff's custom stuff is amazing so he wouldnt have to do much talking us into it. We didnt pickup anything extra while we were there but I'm sure we'll be looking that way when the time comes.

I have a 10 that I keep in Monticello GA and I too am willing to show you around. I also head up to Canton almost every week and could stop in to your place should you need any guidance.

Gary Specketer
Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor

And rumor has it that Gary "likes" building wings, so take him up on his offer for assistance.

Welcome to the club!

Yeah, I'd hook up with Gary too. He "likes" doing fiberglass work too.

Hope to be part of the club in a few months too...I'll definitely be following your progress.

CONGRATS!!!!

Glad to hear you like doing wings Gary! We bought the ones that you get to have fun on for longer :)

Building

I just like building. Wings, fiberglass, anything at all. I don't even mind the Proseal. In my book it is like playing golf for free, so I am in hog heaven.

Gary Specketer

Welcome y'all!

Brian and Brandi,

Congratulations on embarking on your 10 project. My wife Aneta and I are looking forward to getting started too, although it looks like you're way ahead of us with your finished emp section. We are a fairly young couple too, so it's good to see that it can be done by "youngins."

I couldn't believe that you're from Marietta, Ga. I am too! My mom and sister live in Woodstock (just down the road) so we visit whenever we can. However, Aneta and I have a house in Denver, Colorado. We'd love to come check out your progress the next time we're in Georgia. And, likewise, if you two ever want to come ski in Colorado, we'd love to show you what "real" mountains look like. (I actually learned to ski way back when by taking weekend trips to Sugar Mountain in North Carolina, where Scotchguarded Jeans were pretty much the norm!) Of course now, we're experts at both snowboarding and skiing.

Great website too! Kudos to Brandi for her work. Be sure to keep posting, and (more importantly) pounding those rivets! :D

Next time you're out this way you should drop by for sure. Theres an amazing little hidden gem of a restaurant that does Caribbean food near our place. We can start there and get you nice and full and then put you to work banging some rivets with us :)

Wow, great offer to come up skiing. I've only done it once but I had a blast. Brandi never has so its tempting to just hop on a flight out there sometime.

Wow, great offer to come up skiing. I've only done it once but I had a blast. Brandi never has so its tempting to just hop on a flight out there sometime.

Well it's only natural. What do think you'll be doing when you're done with your plane!? visiting people around the country, of course! Feel free to drop me a PM any time.

By the way, we may take you up on the invite next time we're in Georgia. It probably won't be soon though, because we have plans to road trip soon, and then Hawaii in early next year. I think we'll have blown our travel budget for a little while..

Welcome Builders

It is great that you guys are starting the build.
What an awesome plane you'll have.

So did you take a ride in Geoff's plane?

Yes, we did ride in Geoff's plane. What an amazing experience. I'm sure if we hadnt already decided on building one then that would have done the trick. I couldnt stop smiling the whole time I was in it and apparently its a known symptom. "RV-grin" I'm told. Looks kind of like this :D

Back