What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Revisions

revisions ... revisions ... revisions

Is it my imagination or are there more RV-12 revisions than on any other RV ... past or present? :rolleyes: ;) :eek:

I just print 'em out on a standard 8 1/2 X 11 sheet and staple them on top of the outdated instructions. Then I use my handy, extra large magnifying glass. :)

Is it my imagination or are there more RV-12 revisions than on any other RV ... past or present? :rolleyes: ;) :eek:...
That may be because they tell you -12 builders how to empty the trash can when it is full. In the older kits, even the match hole kits like my -9 there are lines like, "There is a lot of work before joining the two halves, you know that those tasks are so do it." or something like that and I'm not joking either.

Is it my imagination or are there more RV-12 revisions than on any other RV ... past or present? :rolleyes: ;) :eek:

That's partially because for an E-LSA kit, the plans and instructions must be very explicit. The inspector must make sure that you followed the plans exactly. If there are things left out of the plans, that is not possible.

That's partially because for an E-LSA kit, the plans and instructions must be very explicit. The inspector must make sure that you followed the plans exactly. If there are things left out of the plans, that is not possible.

There is no way (right now) to build the -12 exactly per the plans and the parts that are supplied, and have a functioning , safe, aircraft. The numerous revisions are a result of these "issues". I'm not trying to be a smart butt, or bash Vans or anyone, but clearly there are issues with the prints, parts, and instructions that need work before we get to the point where you can follow the instructions exactly.

Last edited:
Mel......

Good point. Van's has stated the following.......

? If we determine that there is some reason that an accomplished construction step must be re-done, we will issue a Service Bulletin detailing the required steps and/or parts.

Van's is telling us that even tho a revision to the plans has been issued, it is NOT mandatory unless a service bulletin is issued.

As such, the RV-12 may not be built to the latest plan revision. Any idea how the DAR would view the difference?

I agree that the weak link in the RV-12 is the plans. I spoke to Van about this issue, stating there are many first time builder who need to have their hands held during construction.
Also the plans need to be more detailed and consistant in there wording. As an example you builders have probably come across two steps that accomplish essentially the same task, but are worded differently. This gets has you reading it more than once and scratching your head to see what you missed. You will also come across tasks that are detailed step by step only to come to a step that contains many tasks within a couple of sentences. This is where you can miss something very important.
During my career in the nuclear industry I had to write procedures. It's not easy, however I had many levels of review that caught errors before the procedure was published.

Art Pennanen

Mel

I respect your posts, and almost always agree completely with any of your comments - BUT - for us early builders of the RV-12, there is no way they are identical to each other. We have been told so many things from the factory, such as " that will be ok, just continue on ", that there will be very minor items that will be different. ( Nothing I believe are serious in nature, or safety ).

Question - If you were inspecting one of the early built RV-12's, and you looked us in the eye and said " is it EXACTLY like the factory plane ? " - how should we answer ? ? ( The answer is no, but how should we answer ) ?

Thanks,

John Bender

Two points to consider....

Most of the revisions have been made to correct drawing errors or provide a more clear explanation of what is intended to be done.

As for the ones that have not been for the above reasons...how do you know that those changes haven't also been incorporated into N412RV? Remember, it has not yet been certificated as an S-LSA.

I just print 'em out on a standard 8 1/2 X 11 sheet and staple them on top of the outdated instructions. Then I use my handy, extra large magnifying glass. :)

Hey Jerry,
Think about buying a ream of 8 1/2 X 14, standard legal size paper. It fits in your standard printer and all you have to do is change the paper size parameters in the printer set-up and you get a very readable and very proportional print. I've been doing this from the get go and have been very pleased with the results.

Tom

? If we determine that there is some reason that an accomplished construction step must be re-done, we will issue a Service Bulletin detailing the required steps and/or parts.
Van's is telling us that even tho a revision to the plans has been issued, it is NOT mandatory unless a service bulletin is issued.
As such, the RV-12 may not be built to the latest plan revision. Any idea how the DAR would view the difference?
I never said that it had to be built exactly like the "LATEST" plans. If it is built in accordance with YOUR plans and service bulletins have been complied with, you're good to go. If there is something in YOUR plans that must be updated, Van will tell you.
The DAR must be aware of any mandatory service bulletins. This is one point that makes an E-LSA inspection much more demanding on us than an E-AB inspection.
On top of all that, we must go through your aircraft's operating instructions, the aircraft's maintenance and inspection procedures and the aircraft's flight training supplement. All of these requirements can be found in part 21.193(e)(1) through (e)(5).

Back