What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Product / Product Videos

What do you think of these tools.

• Total voters

clevtool

Well Known Member
We have started selling the tire inflation tool made by Jerry Farek. They are in stock and ready to order.

VSI40_lg.jpg

http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VSI40

I can't get over how easy this makes this to fill tires. For 22 years I have been doing it with the valve stem extension, thinking how much easier that was than pulling the pant. This tool makes it effortless.

I put up a YouTube video on the product site that can also be found HERE

Further, after many years of not even keeping caps on the tires, I have found this tool for removing and installing round o-ring sealed caps.
vcrt8_lg.jpg

http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VCRT8

-

Length

Good question, I will get those specs. on the site.

The key dimensions are from the handle to where the end of the valve stem would be inserted in the tool is 4.75", and the max diameter of the stem is 5/8"

Overall dimensions are 8.5" x 3" x 2.5" Dial face is 1.25"

The Aluminum extension can be made to any length, so if it will not work for your application, please let us know.

-

Sweet !

I've got the long version in my flight tool bag, one of the most used tools in the bag. This design allows you to set tire pressure dead on as you can read tire pressures while your're setup for adding air. :)

With the wheel pant off use a straight edge to extend the valve stem and measure from the wheel pant mounting screw over to the straight edge, then transfer that measurement to the pant.

What's the best way to figure out where to bore that hole in your wheel pants?

1. Take the wheel pants off, roll plane to get valve stem in the forward most point.
2. Using a carpenters square with vertical edge against valve stem and perpendicular to the wheel draw a line on the floor extending outward
3. Note the height of of valve stem
4. Install wheel pants
5. place carpenters square on the line you drew in step 2 with vertical edge against the wheel pant
6. mark the wheel pant at the noted height from step 3.
7. Use a unibit to drill a 3/4" hole at the marked location

no measurement required method

What's the best way to figure out where to bore that hole in your wheel pants?

With wheel pant off, set up a laser on a tripod to light the valve stem from the angle you would approach the stem. Without moving the plane or the laser, re-install the wheel pant and turn the laser back on. There is your spot.

:D;) and here we are trying to close up everything.

Bob, Brian, or anyone else who knows:

This seems like a classic trade-off we often need to make between what's easy to do versus most efficient. Might there be a "third-way" that might mitigate the lessening of the pants' effectiveness? Maybe a screw-in plug or something?

--
Stephen

Can't vote as there is no category for "use airstop tubes and take off your wheel pant front to check tire pressure and examine your brakes and other components a few times a year".
It only takes a few minutes to avoid a nasty problem, or you can keep on pumping up the tires and hope you make it to the next CI.
I put this tool in the same category as the oil change pump that allows you to change your oil without taking the cowling off.

Standard Van's tires

For those with standard Van's tires that need air every 2 weeks.

Locate the air hole the same way I did my wheel pant hardware.

abjp15.jpg

23kuahl.jpg

Use a Lowe's Aircraft Supply plug/part ($0.25) like the one in this photo of the tail cone access hole to check my elevators linkage. Snaps in and out easily, inexpensive and comes in white or black, if those colors work. The edge is beveled very thin.

n6uebn.jpg

Looks to me like the air filler upper Mike is selling would be perfect for this installation.

Back