What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New problem with Garmin SL-40 sidetone

Dgamble

Well Known Member
After 75 hours of problem free usage, my sidetone has become essentially useless. It's very staticy on both transmit and receive. The intercom does not share this problem - it's as clear as it's always been. I have checked the grounding on both jacks. I have tried multiple headsets. I have tried various settings on the sidetone level in the sl-40. I checked the antenna wire. The tower receives just fine.

Any ideas?

Beginning to think the SL-40 is not too reliable. Mine has failed after 200 hours. Can't enter digits left of decimal point. Garmin kindly offered to fix it for $550. :mad: Local shops won't service it. Had no choice but to send it to them.

For future reference....

Make step 1 of your troubleshooting "remove from tray. Replace in tray. See if problem is fixed." Worked for me, but was unfortunately step 5 or 6, whichever one is "try someone else's radio."

Beginning to think the SL-40 is not too reliable. Mine has failed after 200 hours. Can't enter digits left of decimal point. Garmin kindly offered to fix it for $550. :mad: Local shops won't service it. Had no choice but to send it to them.

This is an example of how the minute you install your avionics it starts to become obsolete.:mad: That's the way it is in the techno world. Also this is example of where Experimental and Factory planes cross lines in cost. At least we don't have to pay labor to remove and install the broken part. As to not being reliable its important to keep our perspective. I have 550 hours on my SL40 and it still going strong. I have not seen hardly any posts on the form about other problems about the SL40.:confused: However I have had warranty claims on an LED landing Light, D180, Carb Float and Fuel pump. Recently had to purchase a new nose wheel fork. A plane is a highly mechanical device which has tons of micro vibration resonating through it and operates in cold and hot temps day in and day out. So who knows what will break next.:rolleyes:

A plane is a highly mechanical device which has tons of micro vibration resonating through it and operates in cold and hot temps day in and day out. So who knows what will break next.:rolleyes:

Well said.....just so the wings don't fall of in flight:cool:

Along the lines of remove and replace...
Get some contact spray cleaner for both sides of connector before you put it back in.
Don't be afraid to spray it in the antenna connection BNC also.
It will be like ACF50 except for electrons....
Gold contacts that are accessable may also be rubbed with an ordinary pencil eraser too. Then a blast of compressed air.

First, a technicality: "sidetone" is hearing yourself when you transmit; "receive" is hearing others.
Since both are scratchy the odds are 99 out of 100 that you have a bad connection in the wire from the SL-40 to the audio panel (or intercom).
Pull the SL 40, give a gentle tug on that wire to check the crimp, check that the pin is not bent or recessed, spray with contact cleaner, re-install.
Repeat for the other end of the wire, at the audio panel (or intercom).

Back