What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New owner, RV-3, O-320 fixed wood, 2232B

nomocom

Well Known Member
Greetings, fellow RV-3 builders/users.

I recently bought a Hink built, 1990 RV-3. O-320, not sure of the wing mod status, so for now assuming none. I've spent the last week or so inside it, underneath it, and every where I can get or see. Though not an expert by any means, I like what looks to be the original build, however between then and now the plane has sat for a few years and repairs have not been to my liking. I have not flown the aircraft yet because of I have not finished inspection/repairs. Once inspection and repairs are complete, I expect to fly it home and complete wing mods or add the B wing- undecided at this point.

The PO did give me a construction manual, though chapter 8 is missing (different serial # than airplane). I have talked to Van's and I can get the fuselage section for $6 bucks, that is a given, but in the meantime, any one have the in. lb torque spec on the early taper pins used to tie the left and right spars together? I also found two used taper pins in the PO's hanger. Also, oddly enough, it looks like the upper/outer two holes were filled with bolts. I suspect this may be were the taper pins came from. I will look at putting these back in today. Anybody with RV-3 taper pin experience, I would greatly appreciate a chance to talk or email.

Thanks
Stan
(in Philly area, wanting to get home to Idaho).

Last edited:
As I recall the BFL Bunch were big on taper pins. If you're replacing a taper pin with a bolt be sure to ream the taper pin holes for the new bolts.
Tom
RV3 x 2

Congrates

I also purchased a RV-3 recently, flew it from Toledo, Ohio to Lafayette, La. Had a interesting flight, the right tank had trash in it from the plane sitting in Sun-n-Fun museum, causing fuel starvation, it quit 3 times till I figured it out and ran strickly on the left, it is now fixed, the bolts that came out of the center splice were close tolerance AN 5 21s not pins, I'm also building a 3 that was an A model with the factory B conversion, It is a lot of work to change it over to the extremly beefed up center section.

bringing home the RV-3

"it quit 3 times" I don't envy your plight on that one. That's got to be unwanted and unneeded excitement.
I'm home now after about 16 hours of flying. I had two issues on the trip. A mismatched oil temperature probe and indicator (reading about 45 degrees above actual). We had the probe in 185 degree water and the gauge was reading 230. Also discovered the transponder wasn't reliable.
However, all in all, a great trip. I'm another guy with the RV grin now and there are a few more dry creeks in Wyoming that have been strafed (or at least flown with a pilot making machine gun noises).

Stan

Is there any chance this 3 came out of Doylestown PA? If so, I might have refueled it a few times back in 2000/2001 when I was a line guy there. Do you have any pics?

Yes, it is probable that it is the same one. Sent a photo to the email on you website.

best
Stan

Congrats on the find, and the trip. I love my -3, 0-235. It's just a fun plane to fly. I'm gonna try to get it to OSH mid week.

Back