What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Manual User

Spininprop

I'm New Here
My preview plans (RV-7A) just arrived 1/2 hr. ago...gad, I thought I was prepared but that's a lot of stuff...Now to wait for the funding for the Emp. to begin. I'm 1/3 the way through IFR training so hopefully next year I can start the journey.

Welcome, Hugh. You're right. There's a lot there. I've had preview plans for the -7, -8, and -9 in hand, and have been reviewing them (as well as various other build books and manuals) for almost two years now. My thought is that the better prepared I am mentally, the better my build will go; or as Stephen Covey said, "begin with the end in mind." Studying and learning from those kinds of materials as well as this site has been a great way for me to bide my time until I can begin building in earnest. Enjoy the journey!

--Stephen

My advice to both of you is this: Don't let the preview plans overwhelm you. I remember that feeling, too. I learned later on that you don't have to digest all this material, or learn it all in order to get started. All you really need to do, all through the project, is just stay mentally one step ahead of where you are in the project. It's really just that simple. It's kind of like raising kids... you don't need to read books about how to deal with teenagers when you have an infant that has just arrived. Deal with the teenagers when the time comes. Meanwhile, enjoy your baby! Hope that helps.

Good luck getting started on your projects!

In the meantime, get the Bingelis books and study them. A lot of the stuff is outdated or irrelevant, but all is fun to read and the material provides an excellent background that you can draw from when building. For me, the series is a "must read" for anyone building a wood or metal airplane. In fact, I would almost go so far as to say that if you find you don't like reading those books you might not be a prime candidate for building an airplane.

But as was stated, the plans can be overwhelming at first but, when you start building, you will soon be picking out the details. Don't worry.

Also, as you are waiting, read the old messages here. Start several years back and read everything since then. Make notes on things. There are a lot of hidden gems in the old posts that will give you insight into the building process and what to look out for. And every once in a while, you read something that just might save your bacon. For example, a recent thread mentioned the o rings on the AN825 fittings. Huh??? You use o rings? I had no idea and that little thread might have saved my life.

Good luck on the IFR training!

Thanks for the IFR support. Lost a lot of time over the past few months (instructor down with a broken leg, sick, vacation) while also getting the complex endorsement. My only flying since November 2010 has been training, mostly IFR (flying the the arrow) and complex checkout. Flew the arrow last Sunday solo and it was different. Now must get back to IFR...

In the meantime, get the Bingelis books and study them. A lot of the stuff is outdated or irrelevant, but all is fun to read and the material provides an excellent background that you can draw from when building. For me, the series is a "must read" for anyone building a wood or metal airplane. In fact, I would almost go so far as to say that if you find you don't like reading those books you might not be a prime candidate for building an airplane.

But as was stated, the plans can be overwhelming at first but, when you start building, you will soon be picking out the details. Don't worry.

Also, as you are waiting, read the old messages here. Start several years back and read everything since then. Make notes on things. There are a lot of hidden gems in the old posts that will give you insight into the building process and what to look out for. And every once in a while, you read something that just might save your bacon. For example, a recent thread mentioned the o rings on the AN825 fittings. Huh??? You use o rings? I had no idea and that little thread might have saved my life.

Good luck on the IFR training!

Been following your progress for over a year now...really iching but must wait for IFR so I can roll some of that money to building while still remaining current.

Keep up the great work, its looking great.

One question, what are you going to do with the flap rod that exits the fuse? If I'm looking correctly (didn't look through the plans for this yet), I don't like having a hole to the outside...Some kind of "boot" like on a car's CV joint?

My advice to both of you is this: Don't let the preview plans overwhelm you. I remember that feeling, too. I learned later on that you don't have to digest all this material, or learn it all in order to get started. All you really need to do, all through the project, is just stay mentally one step ahead of where you are in the project. It's really just that simple. It's kind of like raising kids... you don't need to read books about how to deal with teenagers when you have an infant that has just arrived. Deal with the teenagers when the time comes. Meanwhile, enjoy your baby! Hope that helps.

Good luck getting started on your projects!

One question, what are you going to do with the flap rod that exits the fuse? If I'm looking correctly (didn't look through the plans for this yet), I don't like having a hole to the outside...Some kind of "boot" like on a car's CV joint?

Good question! Actually, with all RV's that I'm aware of, the flap pushrod hole is covered by the lower skin of the flap when the flap is raised up. That lower skin extends inboard enough to hug the bottom of the fuselage. So the only time the hole is exposed is briefly when the flaps are down for landing. I've never seen anyone do anything else with it, and I'm not sure you'd want any extra material or anything in there that had any chance of blocking or interfering in any way with the pushrod when it's in action.

That was thought, material could bine, but what if running in the rain...I guess it isn't as bad as I thought...Would rather have all of the flap inside but I guess no room...thanks!

Good question! Actually, with all RV's that I'm aware of, the flap pushrod hole is covered by the lower skin of the flap when the flap is raised up. That lower skin extends inboard enough to hug the bottom of the fuselage. So the only time the hole is exposed is briefly when the flaps are down for landing. I've never seen anyone do anything else with it, and I'm not sure you'd want any extra material or anything in there that had any chance of blocking or interfering in any way with the pushrod when it's in action.

Back