What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Intersection fairings

Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
Maybe you guys have seen it, but I am now officially advertising under the White pages. See http://www.rvbits.com

The first two batches of fairings have all been received by their new owners in the USA and also Switzerland. We are making the next batch right now.

Here is a picture of the fairings showing the excellent quality.

RVB_Intersection_2.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone have a pirep on these? I've done my lower fairings per Van's plans and am not too happy with the result.

-Rob

When these first came on the market I went down to check out the Vans supplied ones. Real obvious why all the fuss. So I bought out of the first batch. A really top notch product with fast shipping at a good price. Nice to do business with a fellow RVer.!!!!

I also bought from first batch for my 10. I was about 1/2 way through doing fiberglass prep on the Van's units that I had already fitted. The Van's pieces were really poorly finished.

These are a really nice product and have set the standard for how I'm trying to prep the rest of my fiberglass. I'm very glad I bought them and there were no issues being mailed from S. Africa.

Tom Hanaway

RV-10 fairings

I just received my fairing from Jan. They are awesome!!!! It took about 2 and a half weeks to ship but it was worth the wait. I threw the ones that came with the kit in the trash! Thanks Jan!

I think Jan currently has intersection fairings ready to ship for the RV-10, RV-6A and RV-7A. If memory serves me correctly, the last time I chatted to him he was about to make the moulds for the RV-7 but isn't quite there yet.

You can see what he has available already over here: http://www.rvbits.com/webstore.htm

I'm sure Jan will pop in in due course to provide up-to-date facts! ;)

P.S. He's also busy with some carbon fibre parts that are absolute works of art (not fairings) but I'll leave that to Jan to announce when he's ready... ;)

Thanks Gary

Thanks Gary and others for the compliments ;)

The RV7 and RV6 intersection fairings are in the process.
We are busy making the molds and the first test set should be ready with in two weeks from now.

I will announce it on the RV6 and RV7 forums, but if you want to make sure that you get the news, please register at http://www.rvbits.com

Need RV-8a Fairings

These look to be well made and fine. I Need set for 8a. Who makes a set just for 8a's? Seems like a good way to save some time. Bill

Hi Phil,
They are made of a good quality fiber glass cloth and epoxy resin. They are really light and there are also no pin holes. The can be used as is or trimmed smaller. You can also split and bond the bottom ones should you wish to.

Bill,
If I can find one set that is fitting well on an RV8A AND a willing owner to loan me those for one week, then we can do it.
Anyone out there who wants to his bit for the RV brotherhood ;)

SomeBody send to Jan

Jan, I wish I had a set to send you and if you don't receive any before about Christmas time I should have made mine by then. Seems like somebody in the whole wide world would have a good set he would willingly loan to you to make some molds for the good of the RV brotherhood and world peace. Seems as well a fine way to reserve a set of fairings as backup just in case of misadventure. Best of luck, Bill of Georgia

Just received the next batch of RV10 main gear intersection fairings.
Will be in contact during the day with those who have ordered.:)

Nice

I bought the intersection fairings from Jan too. They are nice. Huge difference in quality vs. Vans. Glad I bought them.

Jan,

I am getting my RV10 inspected next Saturday so I am about to start working on those items you can work after your flying (wheel pants). Do you have any installation pictures for your fairings.

Pat

RV7A nose gear fairing

Jan,
Do you have the RV-7A nose gear fairing completed? If you do, I would like to order the main and nose gear uppers.
Thanks,
Carl

Pat, I do not have pictures, but what is important is to get your wheel pants and gear leg fairings absolute correctly lined up as per the plans and instructions given in the the plans. A little bit out and your will have a yaw or roll tendency to one side.

Then when set up correctly, slide the intersection fairings into position and mark where they are. Note that you can trim off somewhat to get the look you want. The intersection fairing's position will fix the alignment of the gear fairing later on.

Bottom - Decide on 4 positions (two on the front half and two on the rear half) and mark and drill. You can then install plate nuts later on. Note that you can also also use the "bond and split" method on the bottom once's if you wish.

Top - Decide on 3 to 4 positions and mark and drill. Here is is a bit more tricky as you are going into the belly and onto the root fairing. Install plate nuts where you have access and use a rivnut, self tapper or blind rivet on the rest.

Carl,
Not yet but coming closer. One of these days I will tackle the nose gear intersection fairing and I will post it on these forums when ready.

7A fairing

I got a set of fairings for my 7A and they are great. No pin holes and good fit. I attached to wheel fairings with epoxy and split, then added an overlap. Top fairing between gear leg and fuse fit very nice. Two thumbs up from me.

C A Mansfield
N33WE out of phase 1

Thank you so much for the compliments CA :D

Bill - the plan is to take off a friend's RV8 fairings soon and make molds.
It is the one on this years' Vans calendar front cover.

Just arrived

Just received my leg fairings from our fellow South African RV brother Jan and they are a work of art. ;) The price was fair and the shipping quite fast.
Worth the money if you consider the cost of materials and the mess required to fab these things. Just wish he had a nose fairing offered.:rolleyes:
Recommend them highly.:D

Last edited:
Thanks!

Thanks guys - the nose fairings are coming, but making the first one and making it at a high standard takes some time :D

Back