What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NEW Harbor Freight Oscillating Cutter

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Got a flyer from Harbor Freight last week advertising a NEW oscillating saw/sander with variable speed from 10,000 to 20,000 opm. Picked one up yesterday and tried it today. Cut the fiberglass for the tail cone fairing with a LOT less dust and mess than the die grinder. Price is still $49.95, but be careful-- my local store had lots of the old single-speed one (small box) stacked with just a couple of the new variable speed (big box, it comes in a carrying case) version all under the same sign and at the same price. Haven't trued Plex yet but at 20K it should work there, too.

Wayne 120241

I picked one of those up about 6 months ago for use on some projects around the house. Neat tool. Fein (I think) developed the tool and had the patent, which expired recently. Their models are $200-$350 depending on version and where you buy it, but you get 95% of the utility from HF for $39 bucks or so.

I'm not impressed

Got all excited about finding one of these multifunction tools on sale and hurried down to Harbor Freight this morning and picked one up.

chicagomultifinctiontoo.gif

I got the variable speed model (item # 67537) with the cast aluminum gear housing for $79.99 plus tax. It comes with a nice case and an the cutting and sanding attachments pictured here. Couldn't wait to get it home and cut something! Well, am I ever disappointed! I tried the tool on a scrap fiberglass mold (1/4 inch thick) and it cut very slowly. Add a little pressure and it didn't cut any faster, just heated up the cutting tool. After cutting about one inch the teeth on the cutting edge were dull and all cutting stopped! Drat! :mad: Tried it on some 3/8 inch plywood with the same results. I tried both the half-moon cutting blade and angled cutter blade with different speeds and pressure and they both dulled quickly then stopped cutting altogether. I didn't try the triangular sanding pad. I figured that $79.99 was too much to spend for a tool that doesn't cut even if it may be a passable sanding tool. I'll be returning the tool to Harbor Freight. I'm only sorry that I could have used the time and fuel it cost to go get this thing could have been used to go flying!

Cheap one worked great on windows

I used the cheap single-speed one from HF on my rear windows, worked great. Much more control than other tools. Requires a couple passes, but smooth and easy to do. I'd recommend for that. Haven't tried it on any fiberglass though.

Dwight

I have the Fein and use the Bi-metal blade that I do not believe is available for the knock-offs as far as I have been able to determine. The Fein was used extensively building a composite and I soon realized after I got it that the HSS blades it came with dulled right away and I ended up spending $75 for the cupped bi-metal blade from Fein. It works fabulous on fiberglass and Plexiglas alike. I have cut a lot of glass with it and its still going strong. It works great for cutting thin aluminum also. But like I stated,,,,the Bi-metal blade is not available for the knock offs right now and if your cutting fiberglass, that is what you really need to do the job..

I have the Bosch cordless unit. I have used it a lot at jobsites. It has some higher quality tools available but it won't cut pipe!!! Overall I am happy with it but you need a few batteries.

Ricatic

Back