What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Guy

ARPENN

Well Known Member
My name is Art Pennanen and I am happy to join the Van's family of builders and friends. I'm located on the right coast in West Ossipee, NH. Our home is in Soaring Heights, an aviation community adjacent to the Windsock Village Airport. I Built a hanger in the back yard this past fall. Still needs a door.
I ordered the wings, fuselage and empennage in November and recieved them on Monday. I think I saved a bunch by waiting and having them shipped together. Dave Swift, a neighbor, of mine came over to help unload the crates. I can't believe we carried them from the truck to spots on the hanger floor.
My wife Michele and another neighbor, Russ Slingsby, helped with starting the inventory of large pieces. The remainder we took to the basement where I'll be working for the rest of the winter. As components grow I'll take them out to the hanger for final assembly when the weather warms.

I"ve been so excited about receiving the kit, I forgot to mention that it was an RV-12. I'm retiring to sport pilot after owning a C-172 and 182. Just completed the inventory on all three kits. The only thing missing was one nylon washer. Thats impressive!

Welcome! what section do you plan on building first?

Pete
fuse/wings/emp...waitin on finish kit

I'm starting on the empennage first as Van's had originally intended. This will allow me to get my feet wet without drowning.
Are there any other RV-12 builders in New England? I know BIGJOHN is not far away in NY state.
We have a couple of RV's on the field. An RV-8 was built by a neighbor, LD Jeffries. He recently experimented with a three-blade prop, but was not satisfied with the performance during aerobatics so he went back to the two-blade. Now you can tell when he is up flying.

Good plan...the tailcone. Do the wings next. If you do the fuse before the wings it will be difficult to match up the leading and trailing inserts from the wings. Just my two cents. You may ask around of others as well. Have a ball.

Pete

I'm starting on the empennage first as Van's had originally intended. This will allow me to get my feet wet without drowning.
Are there any other RV-12 builders in New England? I know BIGJOHN is not far away in NY state.
We have a couple of RV's on the field. An RV-8 was built by a neighbor, LD Jeffries. He recently experimented with a three-blade prop, but was not satisfied with the performance during aerobatics so he went back to the two-blade. Now you can tell when he is up flying.

Come on over for a visit anytime after 2/23 (going on vacation). I'll probably have the empennage skins on before I go. Taking the Arrow to Florida.

Back