What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Garmin GMA 240 Audio Panel

w1curtis

Well Known Member
Just noticed on the back of Trade-a-Plane Garmin's new "Sportpilot" Audio Panel the GMA 240. Described as "non-TSO'd" and "priced really low." I haven't been able to find any info about it on line. Looking at the picture, there are provisions 2 Comms, 2 Nav, 2 Aux, a telephone, dual music inputs and NO provision for marker beacon. Also, like the PS Engineering 8000/B, there is a front mounted jack for music or telephone.

I guess this is one of the products they have scheduled for announcement next week at OSH.

GMA240b.jpg

I....., whats with a Pilot ISO button without a crew ISO option?
You obviously haven't flow IFR with someone in the right seat that talks a lot and doesn't like to listen. The "crew" in a Sport plane is ONLY the pilot. My SOP now when flying IFR with a non-pilot in the right seat is to go isolate from takeoff to about 15 minutes after and from about 10 minutes prior to the IAF.

I'm in the process of finalizing decision about a new panel. It will be IFR and include the Chelton EFIS and WAAS GPS. Curretnly I have a GMA 340 in another plane but don't use alot of its functions.

I do like the GMA 240, it seems to have everything I need but was pondering the wisdon of omitting the Marker Beacon receiver this time. It appears the FAA is decommissioning marker beacons as they go in-op. Are there any approaches I can't fly without a Marker Beacon?

I do like the GMA 240, it seems to have everything I need but was pondering the wisdon of omitting the Marker Beacon receiver this time. It appears the FAA is decommissioning marker beacons as they go in-op. Are there any approaches I can't fly without a Marker Beacon?

I am wondering the answer to this question myself. Any thoughts?

Marker becons?

I am having the same question about VOR"s? Should I install a VOR antenna if I am installing a WASS GPS? I know there is talk about sats falling out of the sky and all that but the FAA isn't fixing VOR's either and I can't believe that the military would allow the GPS system to fail! Almost every approach I have flown in the last two years or so have been with radar. But is radar going away?:eek:

So now I have two questions to deal with; Marker beacons and VOR's. If anyone has any new logic that I haven't already thought about, please feel free to fill me in.:confused:

Re; GMA 240

My understanding is the GMA 240 was released for sale several months ago. The announced price at release was $895. I just put in a 340 cuz I wanted marker beacons. As Stein summarized the 240 vs 340 discussion for me, " With a 240 you lose the marker beacon function, but gain stereo for your in-flight entertainment." (How many out there know a GMA 340 is monaural? :eek:)

I'm pretty sure an IFR certified GPS can be used to identify marker beacons. Maybe there are MB's without an equivalent GPS waypoint, but I've never seen one.

As Stein summarized the 240 vs 340 discussion for me, " With a 240 you lose the marker beacon function, but gain stereo for your in-flight entertainment." (How many out there know a GMA 340 is monaural? :eek:)

I knew! I have a 340 in the Skipper and the iPod sounds pretty lame. I'm planning on a 240 for the RV (don't need MB with a GNS340) but I'm open to PS engineering. The problem is that PSE doesn't seem to have anything competetive with the 240 for price / features.

BTW - one of the LEDs is out on my 340... The unit is out of warranty and Garmin quoted a $600 flat fee repair!:mad: That alone may push me to buy a PS Engineering panel!

I have about 20 hours on the 240 now. Previously I had a PS1200 in the plane. The sound quality is very good and I am pleased with the intercom as well. Music is not a big part of my flight experience but I tried the Ipod and it sounded about as good as anything would sealed in a tin box with a 540 cubic inch engine two feet forward!
I have not yet tried the cell phone interface. For the money I think this is a very good unit.

Gotta look it up

It wouldn't bother me in the least to scale down to this unit as long as it is legal to ID the outer marker with an IFR certified GPS. Gotta look that up. I wonder if there is another device in the hardware I am planning (like AFS3500) that could give an audible warning at the OM.

Back