What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Garmin 1.3” NAV/COMM Radios - Garmin GNC 215 and GTR 205 Now Available (1/31/2024)

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hi everyone, the team continues working hard to bring new products to you. We’re proud to unveil the latest slim, 1.3” NAV/COMM radios the GTR 205 COMM and GNC 215 NAV/COMM.

GTR 205 COMM radio
53500389451_9f716f25c4_z.jpg

GNC 215 NAV/COMM radio
53500689994_e494d1ef56_z.jpg

Here are the high points:
  • 1.3” tall height, simplifies replacement of the popular Slimline SL30 and SL40 radios (requires rack and connector change)
  • Bright, beautiful, sunlight readable and color 3.2” wide display
  • Optional NVIS compatible display upgrade available within the unit
  • Large, easy to read fonts
  • Automatic frequency identification using an on-board database with GPS input
  • Frequency lookup using on-board database
  • Monitor the standby COMM frequency simultaneously with the active frequency
  • Press and hold the volume knob or frequency swap key to enter/activate the emergency 121.5 frequency
  • Setup and quickly recall up to 20 frequencies
  • Count up or count down timer
  • Optional remote key for COMM frequency swap; can install on the panel, yoke or other controls for quick access
  • Auto and manual squelch options and quick open squelch access with a press of the volume knob
  • 10-watt transmit standard with 16-watt upgrade option available within the unit
  • Pilot selectable frequency spacing supports regions that require 8.33 kHz frequency spacing, like Europe

GNC 215 offers adds a NAV radio with the additional features:
  • Course deviation indication with to/from leg status; still requires primary CDI
  • Distance and bearing to the station with GPS input
  • Automatic morse code station identification
  • Monitor the standby NAV frequency radial simultaneously with the active frequency
  • Pairs well with most analog indicators and Garmin G5, GI 275, G3X Touch and TXi Flight Display

The GTR 205 is priced at $2,695 and the GNC 215 is priced at $5,295. Orders can be placed with your Garmin Dealer now and we expect to begin shipping in March. These radios replace the GTR 225 and GNC 255.

Thanks,
Justin

Hi everyone, the team continues working hard to bring new products to you. We’re proud to unveil the latest slim, 1.3” NAV/COMM radios the GTR 205 COMM and GNC 215 NAV/COMM.

GTR 205 COMM radio

GNC 215 NAV/COMM radio

• 1.3” tall height, simplifies replacement of the popular Slimline SL30 and SL40 radios (requires rack and connector change)
  • Press and hold the volume knob or frequency swap key to enter/activate the emergency 121.5 frequency
  • Optional remote key for COMM frequency swap; can install on the panel, yoke or other controls for quick access
  • Auto and manual squelch options and quick open squelch access with a press of the volume knob
  • 10-watt transmit standard with 16-watt upgrade option available within the unit
  • Pilot selectable frequency spacing supports regions that require 8.33 kHz frequency spacing, like Europe

• Course deviation indication with to/from leg status; still requires primary CDI
  • Monitor the standby NAV frequency radial simultaneously with the active frequency
  • Pairs well with most analog indicators and Garmin G5, GI 275, G3X Touch and TXi Flight Display

The GTR 205 is priced at $2,695 and the GNC 215 is priced at $5,295. Orders can be placed with your Garmin Dealer now and we expect to begin shipping in March. These radios replace the GTR 225 and GNC 255.

Thanks,
Justin
I have been out of the loop for a few years but thought that VORs were being rapidly fazed out of service, has there been a change?

I have been out of the loop for a few years but thought that VORs were being rapidly fazed out of service, has there been a change?
To some degree, but there is the MON plus ILS/LOCs so those that fly IFR and want options (like me) it's still a valuable capability. For VFR only folks, IMO not so much which is why I suppose there is a Com only version.

Out in the desert southwest, it has been known to happened from time to time that the GPS system has been unusable for lower altitude aircraft. So I like to have a VOR backup. That is why I chose the GNC255A; I want to be able to get home if GPS has a hiccup. I'll admit, after 130 hours, I have never used the VOR/ILS yet. Maybe I should do some flights old school? Good idea.

GTR 205 COMM radio

GNC 215 NAV/COMM radio

Thanks,
Justin
I have recently purchased a GNC-255B and just installed it on my build. Is there any "buy back" program or incentive to update with the new radio model? Can you share the installation manual so we can assess how much work would be required in case one would like to upgrade?

You’ll have to forgive me but looking very close I notice a data card. Would this be another opportunity to sign up for data base upgrades?
Looks like it. A quick review of the Pilot's Guide states the microSD card is used for software and database of frequency related information updates.

These look really nice- any chance they also provide two place intercom like the GTR200? Or do these require an audio panel?
These specific models do not have a built in intercom.
Will these fit in a gnc255 tray?
By chance, are they pin for pin compatible with heritage radios?
The connectors are different, you will need to depopulate the pins from your GNC 255 and repopulate them in the new connector. Everyone's favorite game of Operation. As these are closer to the physical dimensions of the SL30/SL40 radios, there is a different rack.
I have recently purchased a GNC-255B and just installed it on my build. Is there any "buy back" program or incentive to update with the new radio model? Can you share the installation manual so we can assess how much work would be required in case one would like to upgrade?
We do not have any kind of buy-back program for GNC 255 at this time.
You’ll have to forgive me but looking very close I notice a data card. Would this be another opportunity to sign up for data base upgrades?
This is used primarily for software updates. There is also an internal frequency database that you can update from time to time. The cost is $35.00 per year for that subscription.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
The connectors are different, you will need to depopulate the pins from your GNC 255 and repopulate them in the new connector. Everyone's favorite game of Operation. As these are closer to the physical dimensions of the SL30/SL40 radios, there is a different rack.

Thanks,

Justin
Thank you, I hate the game of Operation with a Garmin. the patient usually ends up dying.

I'm not trying to be critical of a new product, but regarding the GTR 200B vs the GTR 205:

GTR 200B Pros:
2 place intercom
Less expensive
Bluetooth

Cons:
LCD screen

GTR 205 Pros:
Color screen
Easily up-datable

Cons:
More expensive (not sure if Experimental version will be produced, or less expensive).
No Bluetooth
No Intercom

Not a fair fight for a 2 place, simple experimental (RV4,6,7,8,9,12).

I guess it's main market would be for an additional radio in an airplane with an existing intercom that has the latest color screens so that it matches everything else.

Maybe I'm missing something here. Please let me know if I am.

If Garmin could upgrade the GTR 200 screen to color and keep the other options it currently has, that would do it for me. (Maybe that's in the works?).

Laird
SoCal RV 8 in gestation

I'm not trying to be critical of a new product, but regarding the GTR 200B vs the GTR 205:

GTR 200B Pros:
2 place intercom
Less expensive
Bluetooth

Cons:
LCD screen

GTR 205 Pros:
Color screen
Easily up-datable

Cons:
More expensive (not sure if Experimental version will be produced, or less expensive).
No Bluetooth
No Intercom

Not a fair fight for a 2 place, simple experimental (RV4,6,7,8,9,12).

I guess it's main market would be for an additional radio in an airplane with an existing intercom that has the latest color screens so that it matches everything else.

Maybe I'm missing something here. Please let me know if I am.

If Garmin could upgrade the GTR 200 screen to color and keep the other options it currently has, that would do it for me. (Maybe that's in the works?).

Laird
SoCal RV 8 in gestation
These are a replacement for the GTR 225 COMM and GNC 255 NAV/COMM. The GTR 200 radio never had 8.33khz spacing. For aircraft that required 8.33khz spacing, these were often used.

Thanks,
Justin

I replaced my SL40 with a GTR200B and my intercom with a Stratus power port in my 7A.
The radio is a great product and works perfectly. Its also nice having two power outlets on the panel with the Stratus.
Good upgraded.

GTR 200B Pros:
2 place intercom
Less expensive
Bluetooth

Cons:
LCD screen

Laird
SoCal RV 8 in gestation

I'd love to see something like the GTR 200B (intercom, G3X integration, no audio panel required) but plus a VOR Nav radio. Make it the same form factor as the GTR 200B, with the same rack and pinout, and I'll order it tomorrow!

Question for the g3expert:

Will this be compatible with the GNC 255 functionality in regards to connection with a Dynon Skyview EFIS system? It looks like it should be connected similarly. Dynon has a serial port connection for the NAV/COM that is able to select "GNC 255". If I connect a GNC 215, I'm assuming this setting will work correctly to drive the HSI/OBS via RS-232.

Is there an installation manual available for us experimental types? I'm in the middle of planning an IFR panel upgrade and this new NAV/COM + a GPS 175 looks like a great combo and less expensive than a GTN 650xi for similar capability.

Research MON. A good portion of the VORs are being decommissioned, but the remainder are not going away for a while. Also, ILS isn't going anywhere and you need a Nav receiver for that. I suspect that ILS might start disappearing from smaller airports where it is not utilized much.

A shout out to g3expert. I was able to get them to send me a copy of the Installation Manual.
A couple of things to note after reading through it quickly. The 215 has only a single 62 pin connector in the rack.
It has both ARINC 429 output and RS-232 in/out connections to your EFIS, along with ethernet to connect to the Garmin GPS. It only needs a single 10A power source, whereas the older 255 needed separate breakers for COM and NAV, and had dual connectors.

GTR 205 COMM radio

GNC 215 NAV/COMM radio

Thanks,
Justin
Will this work with the SPA-400 intercom?

Will this work with the SPA-400 intercom?
I'm sure it would. The outputs from the GNC would be COM audio out, NAV audio out, and inputs would be MIC audio and MIC Key/PTT, along with grounds for each.

There are great looking, and strongly worth considering for my panel.

Request: Remote NAV receiver unit! Please!

Does anyone have a feature-by-feature comparison with the SL-30? I want to know what I am losing/gaining!
Great that this has the same footprint! This will make a less difficult transition.

Back