What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New G3X / GTN 650xi issue

Brucelan

I have a Garmin G3X with GTN 650xi panel in my four year old RV-14A. To date the avionics have been trouble free and are amazing to use.

I recently upgraded the G3X system software to version 9.5. I also updated the navigation databases for both the G3X and the GTN to the latest version (that is current as of tomorrow).

I have flown dozens of ILS approaches over the last four years without issue, but yesterday, I went up to practice approaches and the localizer worked as expected, but the G3X reported "No GS". I asked the tower if there had been any reports of the glide slope being out of service and they said they had no issues. They checked with another aircraft and that pilot reported they were picking up the GS. I tried a different runway and even a different airport. In every case, I got the localizer but no glide slope.

The GTN has just a single antenna for both the localizer and the glide slope so I don't think it can be the antenna or cabling, right?

I have reached out to G3Xperts for assistance but have not heard back from them yet.

Anyone have any thoughts or troubleshooting ideas?

Thanks,

Bruce
RV-14A

"NO GS" will appear when (to oversimplify a bit) you are flying outbound on the ILS course, such as during a backcourse approach, and also when no glideslope data is being received.

If you are sure you had the approach set up correctly, I would find someone with a VOR/ILS test set... it should be straightforward for a shop to determine whether your glideslope receiver is working.

Back