What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Fuse build process question

vmirv8bldr

Well Known Member
Working on the -8 Fuse. This is the new style -8, ordered since OSH last year. My work table is HUGE, about 4' x 8.5'. At any rate, I was planning to cut it in half or something to make room to build the fuse. As I looked through the plans, I didn't see anything about sawhorses or anything.

Can someone who's a little farther along than me shed some light on the broad process?

I know Rick did the BBQ thing with a modified engine stand, but I know you didn't just put the firewall straight on it, so what was the intermediate step and what did you build it on? Table? Sawhorses? Floor?

(I have a 20x20 two car garage with wings on a cradle on one side.)
I'm at the step called "Bending the Longerons," and I know they're much longer than my table, so just trying to envision the process in my head.

Thanks,
Bart

vmirv8bldr said:
..............I was planning to cut it in half or something to make room to build the fuse. As I looked through the plans, I didn't see anything about sawhorses or anything. Can someone who's a little farther along than me shed some light on the broad process?.............
Bart:

Before I mounted the fuselage to the rotiserrie, I made good use of the crate the kit came in... I eventually cut the crate down in length so the back half of the fuselage overhung it.

ff03130gs7.jpg

Upper longerons?

Looks like I should continue to take advantage of that table size for a while!

I couldn't help but notice that you had the forward fuse built out, and the rear built out to about where the rear baggage area is. But,...no upper longerons. Do I not need to do anything with them for a while?

They're in the attic right now, where there is virtually no way I can damage them. I prefer to keep them in that state as long as possible.

Thanks,
Bart

vmirv8bldr said:
Looks like I should continue to take advantage of that table size for a while!

I couldn't help but notice that you had the forward fuse built out, and the rear built out to about where the rear baggage area is. But,...no upper longerons. Do I not need to do anything with them for a while?

They're in the attic right now, where there is virtually no way I can damage them. I prefer to keep them in that state as long as possible.

Thanks,
Bart
Bart,

As you can see, the -8 is built in subassemblies that eventually mate together. No one subassembly is too big or cumbersome to handle. I built the firewall/foreward fuselage in the basement and hand carried it upstairs to the garage.

You are not going to need those longerons until the fuselage is (for the most part) framed and skinned. You can bend them now if you wish. Once they are ready for a trial fitting, you will likely tweak them a bit one way or another. That's a good thing because you will immediately see what areas you have to tweak for a good solid fit. Personally, I found the much beefier forward lower longerons more of a challenge.

Thanks Rick!

Thanks Rick! I think I'll hold off on that step until I need them so I can save the space and further take advantage of table and storage space underneath it.

Thanks again, you're an inspiration!

Back