What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

new engine pickled for 8 years

rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
I have read about 50 posts on pickled engines and what to look for. I am looking at a 0-320 that is new, in the box, filled with oil. It has been sitting in dry climate, heated hanger, for about 8 years.

What are the risks in an engine sitting that long? I don't think corrosion would be a problem since it is filled with oil, but I don't know what else to consider? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Pickled engine

Look at all the rubber seals. They may have dried out too much and start leaking. I bought a used engine stored like yours and changed out all the seals and gaskets prior to flying. No problems in 300 plus hours.

Your milage may vary!

Engine

Many years ago, when I was working on my 4, I found an 0-360 with 1500 hrs,first run out, mounted it and flew that engine for over 700 hrs before sending it out for overhaul. The hi dry air here in Colorado keep stuff like this in good shape,,, if the weather hold we will see you tonight at APA Dave

Sweet or Sour?

Rock,

Depends on how much vinegar/sugar was used.:D See you tonight at the Perfect Landing!

Mike

Look at all the rubber seals. They may have dried out too much and start leaking. I bought a used engine stored like yours and changed out all the seals and gaskets prior to flying.

This. Just replace all the seals and gaskets while they're easy to get to... and you should be in great shape. Especially if the exhaust ports were plugged up during storage, if not, then you might want to inspect the exhaust valves with a borescope to see if there's any rust on the face of any exhaust valve & seat that was in the open position during the storage.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I think it is a pretty low risk although I do not know the cost of changing the seals and gaskets. That may be something I could do or have done for not too bad of a price.

I REALLY wanted a 0-360, but I am always open to a good deal!

Not to worry

My first engine was pickled in 1959 and put in storage. When I got it home I pulled the jugs, inspected the inside, found nothing, put new rubber on it and flew it for 250 hours before I ran it into a trailer.

Back