What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New EGT Probes

todehnal

Well Known Member
My original Dynon EGT probes failed and I bought a replacement set from Lockwood Aviation, a great Rotax dealer. The new probes are a bit different. First you need to open up the exhaust pipe holes slightly. They are 4 feet long, so you need to do some rerouting to eat up the length, and the wires terminate with round pins that you need to add spade terminals to, in order to plug in to the harness. Now the problem: My harness has a red lead and a yellow lead for the probes, but the new EGT probes have a black lead and a white lead. Which one goes where?? Hope someone has been there and done that......Tom

Does this help? I think 912 uses a type K.

I bought this from Aircraft Spruce: DYNON EGT SENSOR HOSE CLAMP .75" - 1.25" ROTAX
Part #: 10-01844 Mfr Part #: 100405-001

Last edited:
Thanks Jim. Well, it does tell me that Vans followed the US color code for the type K probes and that the Yellow is positive and the red is Negative. Now, if I just knew which was which on the new probes black and white leads.
I did notice that all of the other color codes on the chart where black and white were used, that white was neg and black was pos.

Last edited:
Since the new thermocouples have black and white wires, could they be type J and not type K ?
If the wrong type is used, the displayed temperature will not be correct.

Since the new thermocouples have black and white wires, could they be type J and not type K ?
If the wrong type is used, the displayed temperature will not be correct.

Correct

The EGT probes on the RV-12ULS are not a Rotax engine part, they are an EFIS system part. Ordering a Rotax engine EGT probe from Dynon would get you a direct replacement probe.

Correct

The EGT probes on the RV-12ULS are not a Rotax engine part, they are an EFIS system part. Ordering a Rotax engine EGT probe from Dynon would get you a direct replacement probe.

Aircraft Spruce: DYNON EGT SENSOR HOSE CLAMP .75" - 1.25" ROTAX
Part #: 10-01844 Mfr Part #: 100405-001 $36.00

Correct

Aircraft Spruce: DYNON EGT SENSOR HOSE CLAMP .75" - 1.25" ROTAX
Part #: 10-01844 Mfr Part #: 100405-001 $36.00

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the tips. The problem is that I am a day late and a dollar short. I already bought the replacements that were touted as being much more reliable than the smaller originals and I already have $100 in them. They are K type probes. Surely I am not the only RV-12 guy who has installed these. My only issue is that I need to identify plus and minus on the new probe. I will certainly post it so the the next guy won't have to go through this.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the tips. The problem is that I am a day late and a dollar short. I already bought the replacements that were touted as being much more reliable than the smaller originals and I already have $100 in them. They are K type probes. Surely I am not the only RV-12 guy who has installed these. My only issue is that I need to identify plus and minus on the new probe. I will certainly post it so the the next guy won't have to go through this.

Connect the wires and heat the probe up slightly.
If the temp indication act normal you are good.
If not, reverse them and try again.
Backwards wont hurt anything

Thanks Scott. That worked perfect. A closer look also proved to be helpful. The black and white I referred to was actually insulators. Underneath revealed the standard yellow and red wires that I expected. They work like a charm.

Back