What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Drift HD Action Camera

kbehrent

Well Known Member
I've been researching HD cameras that I could install in the cockpit to record my first flight along with documenting some of the phase I test flights. I also want to capture the audio from my intercom and radios. I want a simple plug-n-play solution without voiding my warranty by hacking into the camera and replacing the built-in mic.

The Drift cameras are one of the few that have both a built-in mic along with an external mic jack. Not sure how good the audio is when plugged into a headphone jack or directly wired into the audio panel. I have the PSE 9000EX audio panel, which is a 4-place audio system, so I could easily dedicate one jack for the camera if I don't want to use the co-pilot one.

Since I'm ready to fly, I decided I better make a decision so I started looking again and noticed that Drift has a new HD camera, Drift HD Action. Below is a list of differences I found when comparing new HD camera to the HD170.

Differences between new Drift HD compared to HD170:
Recording Angles: 170 deg in 1080 mode instead of 127deg
Replaceable lenses
Improved 2.5mm external mic jack easier audio recording
Remote Range: 5m range instead of 10ft
Photo resolution: 9mp vs 5mp
Dimensions: 30mm shorter in length & better aerodynamics than HD170
Weight: Lighter (119.1g vs 138.9g)
Supposedly smarter, more programmable than the HD170
ED: This camera won't be available in stores until early October
I would be interested in hearing from anybody that has used this new camera or the HD170 and connected the external mic jack into the aircraft headphone jack or audio panel.

Last edited:
We got the HD170 Drift in April for our first flight. We found the mount has to be well braced to stop any vibration. But are now more than happy with it.

The one we got has the external mic jack, and has the 170 deg lens rotation.

Someone else on here advised a flat mic in the headset. I tried that and it is excellent.

We got the HD170 Drift in April for our first flight. We found the mount has to be well braced to stop any vibration. But are now more than happy with it.

The one we got has the external mic jack, and has the 170 deg lens rotation.

Someone else on here advised a flat mic in the headset. I tried that and it is excellent.

Where/how did you mount it inside?

We have two mounts inside. The drift comes with several clip in mounts. One of these was a self adhesive mount, that we stuck on top of the anti glair shield (facing rear). For the rear mounted position (facing forward), I used the tube clamp on mount. I modified the mount and bolted it to a angle that was clamped to the threaded rod that holds the rear slider. I clamped the angle with washers and nuts on the threaded rod. The first rear mounting was on the rear luggage bulkhead, but it vibrated too much.

I haven't any photo's, but I'll try and remember to take some for posting.

I had the prop balanced the other day which has reduced vibration in the airframe. So I'm interested to see how future video's turn out.

I have just tried out my new camera. After watching a lot of videos and wondering how they did it; I just searched, read, and spent some money. Here is a link to my first attempt. I used the helmet mount that comes with the Drift HD170 as was mentioned on this site. I also have never edited a video, so I just chopped away until it met YouTubes requirements. I had no sensations in flying with the camera on the right wing. I will be moving it forward one screw for the next flight. When I did this flight I had no idea how to do anything with the camera other than rotate the lens and turn it off and on. I will read the instructions and see if improvements can be made. The camera was on 720p and that seems to have produced good results based on the time of day and speeds. There was some of the dreaded "Jello" effect turning final and the landing speed appeared faster than it was. I am thinking the plastic mount may be flexing due to the drag of the camera, but only slightly. It was an easy process to mount that took two minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueXKbWCwC5k

photo1-1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

Last edited:
You did well for your first vid. You got about the same amount (possibly less) of shake/vibration as we do with ours (inside or outside). And yes, all goes smooth when you pull the power back.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm looking forward to see if there is any difference now the prop has been balanced.

Sony

Does any one have any experience using Sony or JVC cameras, I have my eye on some at our local Costco.

The Drift cameras are one of the few that have both a built-in mic along with an external mic jack. Not sure how good the audio is when plugged into a headphone jack or directly wired into the audio panel. I have the PSE 9000EX audio panel, which is a 4-place audio system, so I could easily dedicate one jack for the camera if I don't want to use the co-pilot one.

I've got the Drift HD and have begun to try it out. Have not had success hooking it up to headphone output. Sound is garbled. I wrote Drift and they said it will be garbled if a stereo source is used. Mine is. So I tried a stereo to mono plug but still get garbled sound. I've written them again to see if they have any other ideas. Sound is fine, though, with their external mic.

CAMERA MOUNTING

Here is a link to a camera review we did back a few months ago.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=71052
We did a review on four different cameras and have since reviewed the Drift stealth as well as their newest Drift HD. They are available now I believe, we currently have three of them. I am more impressed with the Stealth model than any of the others so far. I will also include a link to some of our video. Please note; Absolutely no shaking or vibration, also note very little fish eye and almost no horizon distortion.:D
http://vimeo.com/22471547

Drift Full 1080 and Drift stealth

Hi Alan

There is a big difference in price between these two and you seem to be saying you prefer the cheaper one.

I had come to the conclusion that the drift was the one to go for now the question if whether it is worth paying the extra money for the full 1080. It seems tat one of the differences is that the stealth has to have its own dedicated wired mic, but the 1080 has a 2.5 mm jack plug,

But the real question is whether the picture quality is much better on the 1080.

Can you advise

I've got the Drift HD and have begun to try it out. Have not had success hooking it up to headphone output. Sound is garbled. I wrote Drift and they said it will be garbled if a stereo source is used. Mine is. So I tried a stereo to mono plug but still get garbled sound. I've written them again to see if they have any other ideas. Sound is fine, though, with their external mic.

Not sure why you are having trouble, mine worked fine. Not sure if you are using a audio panel, but I'm using PSE9000EX. I did have to turn down the intercom volume way down or else my voice would sound really LOUD and distorted. The ultimate fix is to wire a separate headphone jack just for the camera so you can control the volume on the Passenger side without affecting the pilot/co-pilot. It also gives you the option to isolate that jack if you don't want something recorded.;)

Recorded radio traffic was just as clear as what I heard in my headphones.

My expereince

I love my Drift170HD, but I developed a problem with it shutting off uncommanded and corrupting the footage. I thought it might be a bad SD card or a weak battery.
Before I started buying new parts to try and get it to work, I stumbled upon the fact that mine was way out of date on it's firmware updates. Go to the Drift website and check yours. I think some of the bargain units were in inventory for a while and therefore were really behind on the latest software fixes.
No issues since then.

My 2 cents.

Hi Alan

There is a big difference in price between these two and you seem to be saying you prefer the cheaper one.

I had come to the conclusion that the drift was the one to go for now the question if whether it is worth paying the extra money for the full 1080. It seems tat one of the differences is that the stealth has to have its own dedicated wired mic, but the 1080 has a 2.5 mm jack plug,

But the real question is whether the picture quality is much better on the 1080.

Can you advise

Hi Steve;
To me the best bang for the buck is the Drift Stealth model, They are all black and not orange. Your video will come out better if you use the 1080 P adjustment for recording. If you use the 720 P record mode the lens is too wide angle for most aircraft use and distorts the video. Now that their new version is out the stealth model is much less expensive and will do everything you will ever want in one of these sports cameras. Regards, Allan

Included in the my DRE 244e intercom manual were instructions for wiring a recording jack w/ the pilots' headset jack. They have you use 150k resistors. You may want to try it.

See here:
http://rv.jpainter.org/docs/dre/schematic.jpg

I just bought a Stealth Yesterday, the price is down to $159. Also if you look on the driftinnovations website under accessories, they have the adapters to hook up an aviation headset to the back of all their cameras.

-david

Back