What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NEW BUILDERS!!!...and early stage builders.

meadeduck

Well Known Member
PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF ALL REVISIONS that are posted on the Van's website; in particular note that there have been 5 revisions made in February. The One in particular that is REALLY important for all first-time builders, is the one from Section 5, page 12. It refers to how to view building of the aircraft, in that you should READ THE INSTRUCTIONS 2 OR 3 TIMES before you begin the instructions!! Then VISUALIZE how the parts go together, as not all steps necessarily need to be accomplished in the stated order. (...something George has been doing all during our construction process.)
I taught Learning Disabled kids for about 30 years, and I don't think I could have written this revision with any more clarity.
George and Meade
#16;)

Good advice! When I first started my wing kit I had been reading the plans for 2 months while waiting for the kit to arrive. On the first read the plans seemed very complex. As I took time my time and studied each page, things became clear. I am still amazed at the quality of engineering that Van's has put into this plane. I still have some problems with the diagrams being a bit small and hard to read at times. Blowing them up on a xerox machine is cheap and usally does the trick.

I have another theory on this issue about reading the plans 3 times and blowing the diagrams up larger.

My theory is that there seem to be a number of older retired gentlemen building. Is it not that they forget what they read the first two times and maybe the eyesight is not that good anymore?:D:D

Before you get agro, the above is not serious but just some South African humour.

I find the diagrams ok but being new to the building game (15 hours on the Emp only) I do find that you have to read the plans a few times and already have caught myself assuming some things.

In fact, I am grateful to the retired builders who have the time to put together very informative blogs etc. I have read many of them and find that it helps a lot particularly getting a heads up on where they struggled and how to approach certain areas.

I did get caught having missed the revision regarding final drilling some holes on the VS that I had already attached nutplates to.

I have another theory on this issue about reading the plans 3 times and blowing the diagrams up larger.

My theory is that there seem to be a number of older retired gentlemen building. Is it not that they forget what they read the first two times and maybe the eyesight is not that good anymore?:D:D

Before you get agro, the above is not serious but just some South African humour.

<SNIP>

Reilly you can be so glad you are far from USA, since I think you will have many RV12 builders on your case if you did not live 1/2way across the world :D
If any USA builders feels offended and want me to knock him with a 2x4 next time I see him in South Africa, just let me know :p

Regards
Rudi

IF THERE IS ONE THING I HAVE LEARNED, WORKING ON MY THIRD RV-12 KIT, IS THAT "IF IT DON'T FIT, YOU DID SOMETHING WRONG".

Back