What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New builder - Tailkit #120453

N40DK

Hi Everyone!

I'm a long-time lurker who finally decided to take the plunge and ordered the empennage/tailcone kit on 11/5. The box shipped on 11/12 and arrived today (Oregon to Grand Rapids, MI in 3 days).

Inventory is done, and I'm missing bag 2674 (I looked through everything 3 times...) but that shouldn't hold me up.

I'll be building it E-LSA with most of the options (lighting, autopilot, etc). My shop is big enough (40' x 28') so I should have plenty of room to move around even with the wings on.

N-Number is reserved (N40DK--my age and initials--interesting predecessor--google it)....

Looking forward to scratching my head a lot for the next 18-30 months (hopefully).

Dave

Welcome aboard Dave

You'll have a good time. Someone will jump in and help if you need it.

John Bender

Glad to have you!

Dave welcome aboard. Learn how to use the Search function on the RV12 form. Alot of your questions have been already answered. But if you cant find what you are looking for ask away.;) You might want to look up Mich48041. He is always posting on the form. I dont think he lives far from you.

Last edited:
Welcome Dave

Hi Dave the Lurker
to move about furtively, or wait in a concealed position or a shadowy corner, especially with the intention of doing something wrong.
and you will - we all do.

John statement to use the search function is a good way to help you with a problem. There are a lot of experience builders with a lot of good solutions But don't be afraid to ask the question again as there are a lot of new builders who may come up a better answer or not. And it also helps the builders that are behind you from making the same mistake as they don’t know it may be a problem until it is to late.

There is a photo fo the parts in bag 2674 on my website www.joesrv12.com/Builder Log/bk_01_09.htm

I added your kit # to
www.rvbuilderlist.com

Good luck with your build
N7944A my date of birth

Last edited:
Welcome Next -12 Kit

Dave.....you got the kit after mine......I've got 452 and was also missing bag 2674, as well as didn't get any "scrap skin" to practice riveting on....called Vans and they said they'd get it in the mail......have only gotten thru the first couple of pages, as I am "languishing" over everything right now....triple read everything......lotsa new tools and skills to learn....deburring a lot of holes......tomorrow I start riveting and looking for the answer to "what is the least amount of air pressure needed to power my Cleveland Pneumatic riveter, as the instructions for the tool encouraged using only as much as "needed" for longer tool life, as opposed to the max of 90lbs. Enjoy the experience and take it slow.....den

Thanks for the comments. I'm an IT guy so I've been searching for answers since text-only Gopher was around. I'll try not to start any new primer threads. ;)

I've decided I'm not going to track the number of hours, since that's not the point of the build (at least for me), and it's not required for E-LSA.

My email signature at work is:
"The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of making a date is forgotten".

I need to remember that while I'm building. I have some materials from Vans from 1997 (!) when I was about to order an RV-6. I've waited a long time to start, and an extra few months to get it right isn't going to be remembered later on.

I've spent the last 2 months getting my workshop in order (I'll post some pics later), and I need replace my 2 overhead 10'x8' doors with R17 insulated doors for winter. Should make building much more comfortable.

Shout-out to Dave Gamble's site--I read it end-to-end before ordering my kit. Keep it up!! There are many other sites I'm following as well--thanks for the links above.

Continuing on Section 6........

Love the Cleaveland tool set! Great service from them too. My pneumatic riveter from them works great at 40 psig. Very smooth. Have done the tail and half the wings with it. Only a few stuck mandrels - I recommend a small amount of lithium grease when you reassemble the jaws after the first one you get - and not to use the rivet catcher on the back - just remove the mandrels from the front after each pull. (Otherwise they sometimes fall back into the jaws and block the next one.)

You guys in the US are very lucky to have your kits delivered so soon. I have ordered kit 422 on 7 September and am still awaiting delivery. Not Vans fault, I live halfway around the world in South Africa. I might take delivery of the empennage within the next two weeks according to the delivery man. Hopefully I don?t have any missing components. I am sure I will pose a lot of question and have already learned a lot by following this forum.
Mauritz Muller
Soon to be RV12 builder
South Africa
;)

Thanks Bill

:):):)
Love the Cleaveland tool set! Great service from them too. My pneumatic riveter from them works great at 40 psig. Very smooth. Have done the tail and half the wings with it. Only a few stuck mandrels - I recommend a small amount of lithium grease when you reassemble the jaws after the first one you get - and not to use the rivet catcher on the back - just remove the mandrels from the front after each pull. (Otherwise they sometimes fall back into the jaws and block the next one.)

Great feedback ......I'm sure I'll have the same experience! What kind of hand riveter are you using? The one in the RV-12 Cleveland kit, or another. My "e-cheapo" ate the first LP4-3 I put it her and I can't get the mandrel out of the jaws....shoulda gone with the A/C quality one.....

The one that came with the cleaveland set - works fine. I doubt I have pulled more than about 20 rivets total with it though and I have finished the tail and almost the wings. The pneumatic one works fine in a lot of situations you might think you need the manual one with the "wedge" for. I often use the pneumatic puller with the wedge in tight places. Hint for using the wedge: Drill a slightly-larger-than-rivet-size hole in a piece of hard oak. Put the wedge over the rivet, hold the mandrel with pliers up against the wedge, stick it in the hole and bend it over ~20 degrees or so. Ready to pull.

Back