What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Builder (long time lurker)

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
Hello, my name is Mark and I'm a RV-10 Builder.

Seriously, I've been lurking here for the past few weeks gathering all the intel I could before making my final decision. There is certainly a ton of information available and I've spent many a late night reading all I could. I am fortunate to live about 15 minutes from Vans and actually consider KUAO my home airport for my rental needs.

I do a lot of IFR and cross-country flights in the best thing I can find on the rental market around here - a PA28R-201. So I am definitely looking forward to outfitting a nice glass IFR capable plane - whatever that will be like in 2+ years from now. My only regret with the RV-10 choice? Well two - having to wait 2 years to fly it, and having to find a solution/rental to stay current for my Commercial rating I'm completing.

The best thing I've learned from lurking so far? Rounding the ribs in the VS to prevent the dings - and it worked! Skin is on for the final drill process and they are smooth and look great. So glad I found that information before getting started.

My plane is to do the standard build as I like the construction as much as the flying. As there are a lot of Questions as a newbie, I thought I would sum up what it took for my to get to where I am

1) It doesn't matter which company to order the tool kit from. Unless you know specifically what you want or don't want, they will all work to get started. I went with Avery and haven't regretted it.

2) I have decided NOT to go the pnuematic squeezer route - at least at this point. If I get to the point where I can't live with out it, I'll get it then. No reason to worry about it now before even getting started

3) Priming - I'm using SEM self-etching rattle cans and only priming parts that aren't alclad.

4) Air Compressor has yet to land in the shop, but I don't plan on doing the painting myself, and I am using battery operated drills, so I figure a 30Gal'ish tank will be fine.

5) Decided to get a Band Saw ($120 from home depot), Drill Press ($40 on craigslist), and a bench grinder ($40 home depot). While not absolutely required, it seems to make things go much faster so far.

Photos and blog on my progress site at http://myrv10factory.wordpress.com/.

Welcome aboard Mark! Very nice to meet you and looking forward to your construction photos.
br,
dr

Congratulations on your new project, have fun!

In addition to your list, I have one of those combination belt/disk sanders that I've found very, very useful.

John

Welcome Mark

Don't forget the bench top sander. I use that as much as the deburring wheel on the grinder. I have used the drill press less than 10 times and could have done without it. Have fun building.

Bah, of course, forgot about that too - Home Depot special. I've been hunting on Craigslist for all I can, and surprisingly there aren't better deals. Currently I am trying to source my Air Compressor from there, but it's either a 4 gal pancake model or a 110 gal industrial tank that would fill the garage.

I wound up getting a 33Gal model from Home Depot - the largest that is 110V. It's an oilless, so I know it's noisier, but I'll live with it.

I live in hillsboro and at a pause in building my 7 due to financial reasons and considering switching to a 10. I have a vertical 26 gal Husky air compressor that I'd be willing to part with at a reasonable price, if you can return yours. PM me if you want to chat.

I also forgot to mention to check out Twin Oaks air park for rentals, they have a very nice IFR PA-24 250 Comanchee for just $160 hr. Thats the only plane I've flown for the past year and love it. Superb performance at a great price. They do require renter's insurance with 80k hull to rent. You are able to cruise at almost the speed of your rv10 and it has the same engine too! I plan for 158kts and 12.5gph. www.twinoaksairpark.com

And a Vertical Stabilizer is born!
img_05141-e1291946839653.jpg

Last edited:
Don't worry about the compresser being big enough. My little compressor has done a fine job with my build. Yes, it is noisy (wear ear protection), it runs frequently when drilling, and on the hottest days here it has overheated. But it still works just fine for the build.
I would strongly suggest taking the money saved and getting that pneumatic squeezer. I can't live without that! Makes riveting and dimpling a breeze.

I would strongly suggest taking the money saved and getting that pneumatic squeezer. I can't live without that! Makes riveting and dimpling a breeze.

The pneumatic squeezer is nice, but (IMHO) the Cleveland Main Squeeze is just as nice, and quieter. Of course, there are places where you can fit a pneumatic where a main squeeze won't fit, and vice versa. The pneumatic is faster if you have a long line of identical rivets. The main squeeze is nicer because it is harder to screw up in a way which drives a big unexpected dent into your work... (I find that the lighter main squeeze makes it easier for me to have a precise touch. But perhaps if I had more practice with a pneumatic I wouldn't feel this way.)

Chris

Long time lurker ??? ///

If you've only been lurking a few weeks, then what does that make me? I've been lurking for a few years. :):)

I wound up getting a pnuematic squeezer off the classifieds here for a great price. After doing the AD4 rivets on the VS spar, I knew I wanted something to set those a lot easier. I will primarily use my main squeeze where I can, and use the pnuematic to help in other areas. Last night I did use it to dimple all the ribs and spar of the rudder and it took less than 10 minutes to fly through them all.

I did get a 33Gal oil-less tank from Home Depot. Yes it is noisy, but didnt require a 220V circuit and other than the initial charge of the day, I havent had it kick in to recharge even after riveting the entire VS. Admittedly I am using an electric drill, so that might be the difference.

Back