What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New build and SB-00007 (landing gear cracks)

kirkbauer

Well Known Member
In my fuselage kit delivered Jun 2024, there was a separate bag labeled "10 Center Section DT Kit". Inside the bag was a paper copy of SB-00007 along with two drill bushings, VA-00274, and VA-00275 templates. But as far as I can tell, my main spar already has the enlarged holes -- it's tough to measure with calipers but it seems the existing holes are already 0.25" and the bottom right hole is over 0.3". I can partly shove a 0.25 drill bit through the holes that are supposed to be enlargened. Can I assume they sent me these templates but I don't need them? Picture below.

The rest of the service bulletin seems to be included in my standard instructions (section 29) and the parts were distributed within my kit. For example, I have the VA-00277 and VA-00278 templates, and the F-01004T-L and F-01004T-R parts. My instructions say to drill using the template into the into the gear leg weldment and it seems that even though I have the new weldments (no forward-facing support bar) they are in fact missing the holes in their outboard flanges.

So if I'm understanding all of this correctly, I can skip drilling into my spar, ignore SB-00007 and the 274 and 275 templates, and just follow my instructions.

2024-09-04 17.14.44.jpg

Note that the four holes I'm supposed to enlarge to 0.25" are already larger than the two holes visible at the top left, and the lower right hole is larger than the 0.25" holes.

Back