What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New build #41642

scorwin

I received the emp kit 3/10/15 and am just finished clecoing (is that a real verb?) the skins on the tailbone.

I have the fuse kit arriving the end of this month, with a QB wings due in Aug/Sept. The wings will be stored until needed. I've searched for these questions but either found old threads or no real good answers

1) Do I need to plan for anything with the tail before I finish it up? Conduit for antennas or lighting? ELT? When does that really start to become a thought process? Right now, I'm simply going from step 1-2-3.

2) What should I plan on doing for the fuse in the near future? Really, what I'm asking is, I can go from step 1-2-3, but when do you start to plan out the static system, planning the interior... Or is it simply step 1-2-3 until I hit the firewall?

3) I'm working out of a single car garage and it's working out nicely so far. The rudder, Vert/Hori stab and the tailcone will be placed into a nearby storage facility while I'm working on the fuse. How much of the instructions should I complete before storing those parts? I think the rudder and horizontal stab can be removed, but can the vertical stab be removed easily also?

4) I live in the DFW area. Anyone know of another RV-10 builder in the area? I tried searching and going through EAA but haven't had any luck....

Thanks in advance

Shawn

Shawn, a couple of thoughts,

1) you will want to leave the forward top skin for the tailcone clecoed in place, but not riveted. With that skin removable, you can access the inside of the tailcone, and take care of all those tasks you mention down the road.

2) for the most part, the fuselage is also just a matter of following the plans. You may need a couple more conduit runs, and some folks install access plates for the step attachment.

3) vert stabilizer is easy to remove and store,

Good luck and have fun,

Andy

VOR antenna? I used an Archer in the wingtip, but if you want cat whiskers on the tail put in the doubler and nutplates now.
Under the baggage floor, under the rear seats: put in doublers/nutplates for any antennas (bent whip com, transponder) and pull coax before riveting baggage floor or rear seat pan. Also run conduit or wires that need to go to the tail before the floor/seat pans. Allow at least 50% more wire or conduit space than you think you need. You always need more!

For the VOR antenna ,don't worry,by the time you finish will be no VOR operatives in USA.
Save that money ,and effort.
I don't know if that is a wise move from FAA.
I reserve my comments

Welcome to VAF!

Shawn, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D Good to have another 10

Check in at Pecan Plantation for other 10's.

ELT Mounting Bracket

I mounted the ELT bracket in the tail cone before I attached the tailcone to the fuselage. Was really easy sitting on a chair measuring and fitting the bracket.

ALSO.. I put the famous "Dent" in the vertical stabilizer skin which you get when you follow the plans. It is talked about in this forum, so do a search for it. You have to file away some of the VS ribs to prevent the dent.

Good Luck

Shawn,

I'm South of Dallas in Cedar Hill. I'm working on wrapping up my wings now waiting for the fuselage to show up in Sept. Not sure if you're to the point of needing the special RV10 bucking bar yet, but if you are I have one you can borrow.

For space savings I haven't built the tailcone yet. I had already ordered the wings and figured there wasn't a reason to build the tailcone and have to find a place to store it till after the wings are complete. Guess I'll be starting on it soon. ;)

Let me know if I can help.
Lynn

other opinion

For the VOR antenna ,don't worry,by the time you finish will be no VOR operatives in USA.
Save that money ,and effort.
I don't know if that is a wise move from FAA.
I reserve my comments

If you plan on IFR, VOR's may be going the way of the do-do, but there are still times when only an ILS approach will get you in.

(and the Archer wingtip antenna works fine for ILS)

Plan ahead

2) What should I plan on doing for the fuse in the near future? Really, what I'm asking is, I can go from step 1-2-3, but when do you start to plan out the static system, planning the interior... Or is it simply step 1-2-3 until I hit the firewall?

The earlier you plan out your systems the better. It is much easier to build in wiring and pitot static system pathways than retrofit already completed work. As you work on your fuselage consider what needs to run where before you close up any area.

I know you are building a -10, but the baggage floors of the -7 is a good example. Many folks have removed them to accommodate additional wiring when pre-planning would have prevented that extra work. I know, because I had to drilled mine out.

I appreciate all the advice.

I'll leave the top skin off for now and try to plan things out... It's very intimidating since this is all new to me.

I def want the plane to be IFR, but avionics is what it is, so that will wait for now.

I'm planning on using the vans pitot system (rivet). Whats the general consensus regarding the pathways? Use what Vans gives you or something a little higher tech than plastic tubing? Does it really need to be higher tech?

Can the entire tail assembly be kept separated? Rudder, vert stab, Hori stab, elevator, tailcone? I'll finish as much on the emp as possible, but don't want to get caught with something that cannot be removed.

Also, looking a little more forward ahead....

What about fiberglass work? I have no experience with this. I'm sure I'm not alone in this. Is it 1)work attending a workshop, 2)just get some practice fiberglass, or 3)keep on building/learning as you go.

I deleted the windshield and windows from vans and will buy the cee baileys based on rec from here. Truly an amazing site with and unbelievable amount of help.

Shawn

shawn,
A workshop or a local builder is a good way to go for the skills you are trying to acquire. Experimenting on your real parts is not the best plan. Also, I don't know if you realize, but a lot of builders use Kitlog to keep track of their build. You can do a search for RV-10 and browse photos of others build. In addition, most any question you ask has probably been answered before on this forum. Use the search engine at the top right of the screen. Here is a link to the Kitlog -10 page. http://www.mykitlog.com/search.php?...me=&aircraft_type=rv-10&city=&state=&country=

Back