What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New 9A builder

pilot2512

Well Known Member
While everyone was getting ready for OSH, I took a trip to Van's to get out of the Texas heat and place my emp kit order in person. Kit arrived the same day I got home. So officially I am now a builder. Thought I would introduce myself since i'm sure I will be asking plenty of questions.

Jay
The Woodlands, TX

P.S. DR, your donation has been sent!

Welcome!

Good news Jay! You won't be disappointed when she is flying. Ask me how I know :)

Hey

Congrats on getting started. Enjoy the process...you are building an AWESOME machine. We all asked our share of dumb dumb questions along the way...no problem at all. :D

New 9-A builder

Welcome Jay. Enjoy the experience. I am almost finished with the empannage kit and will be picking up the wing and fuselage next week. I am really enjoying the project and I know you will, too.

Jay,
Welcome to the VAF and to the best hobby in the world (my opinion but I'm sure others agree :D). I started my 9A last year and just placed my wing order 2 wks ago. If you have any questions shoot me a PM or email me at:
a k m l a r v i g at m a c dot com.
Also, google smittys rv 9a build and you will find a very helpful website from a hilarious RV builder. Another one worth googling is McCoy's RV-9A. Both have been helpful to me.
Good luck and have fun!

Welcom

Jay, welcome to the party. It's a real blast building a 9A. Good choice!

You will find tons of helpful info here on VAF. You can post a question and get multiple answers very quickly. Enjoy the process, have fun, double what your thinking for time to build and don't stress over the little stuff, we have all had to drill out a few rivets here and there. It takes some time, but in the end it is all worth it. At least that is what I have been told. I have 5.5 years in, and my project is just about done.

Also, google smittys rv 9a build and you will find a very helpful website from a hilarious RV builder. Another one worth googling is McCoy's RV-9A. Both have been helpful to me.

Aaron, thanks for the pat on the back. I have posted tons of photos and information on my project. If you are interested, the URL is in my signature below.

Wonderful to have another 9A builder. I started 4 years ago and am nearing the end. It has been a fantastic time, but full of frustrations that will try your resolve many times. I have a friend at work who just started taking flying lessons (we are both mid-50's) and he said he has known of several people who started building an airplane but I am the only person who has come this close to actually finishing.

Be sure to come on here when you get frustrated for some hand holding, and it is a requirement to post a picture of your first mistake and ask if you should order a new part or build on (the answer will probably be to build on). I recommend you go back a few years here on VAF and simply start reading all the posts, making notes of important points. There is a lot of information here to be gleaned and at times it is all overwhelming. My best advice for the times you get stuck over how to do something is to simply go ahead and do it. That probably doesn't make sense now, but later it will.

Have fun!

Jay, welcome to the party. It's a real blast building a 9A. Good choice!

You will find tons of helpful info here on VAF. You can post a question and get multiple answers very quickly. Enjoy the process, have fun, double what your thinking for time to build and don't stress over the little stuff, we have all had to drill out a few rivets here and there. It takes some time, but in the end it is all worth it. At least that is what I have been told. I have 5.5 years in, and my project is just about done.

Aaron, thanks for the pat on the back. I have posted tons of photos and information on my project. If you are interested, the URL is in my signature below.

No problem Peter! Your site has been a HUGE help to me. Thanks for the work you put in to do it.

Welcome to the aluminum addiction!

I made my tail kit purchase 2 years ago this month and now I'm several pages into the finish kit plans. I didn't know what my pace would be when I started and figured on a 5 year plan. I'm on plan but over budget! :D
VAF is great whenever you have a problem to figure out. The Search feature of the forums has been my best build buddy, and likewise all of the great build web sites out there.

Back