What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Needing a little help determining if my RV 3 wing mod was done

Where to start...

I purchased N272DR late last year. It is registered as a RV-3A, so I thought the wing changes had been done. Is there a way to confirm if the mods have been done without pulling the wings off? There are no records of the mods being done in the log books, Vans doesn't have records of the kit anymore, and the plane was originally registered as -3A in 1985. Additionally in 2004, there was some big work that was done, including removing a aux fuel tank. No idea where that was installed. Really, I am just looking for a little help on determining if the mods were done, preferably without pulling the wings off. If not, then how is it registered as a -3A?

Thanks,

Seth

Where to start...

I purchased N272DR late last year. It is registered as a RV-3A, so I thought the wing changes had been done. Is there a way to confirm if the mods have been done without pulling the wings off? There are no records of the mods being done in the log books, Vans doesn't have records of the kit anymore, and the plane was originally registered as -3A in 1985. Additionally in 2004, there was some big work that was done, including removing a aux fuel tank. No idea where that was installed. Really, I am just looking for a little help on determining if the mods were done, preferably without pulling the wings off. If not, then how is it registered as a -3A?

Thanks,

Seth
There are two mods. The aft spar mod, and the main spar mod.
IIRC you can look at the aft spar in the fuselage and see the aft spar mod.

Main spar mod is easy to see if you have wing fuel tanks and can pull one without wrecking the paint.

There are two mods. The aft spar mod, and the main spar mod.
IIRC you can look at the aft spar in the fuselage and see the aft spar mod.

Main spar mod is easy to see if you have wing fuel tanks and can pull one without wrecking the paint.
Thanks, I dont have wing tanks. What am I looking for? Vans apparently doesn't have the drawings for the changes anymore.

Tony Kirk responded to this question back in Feb 04.

Hope this will help you.

A

Tony Kirk responded to this question back in Feb 04.

Hope this will help you.

A
Yes thank you, He sent me the drawings (whew)!

Vans does have the drawings. If you pull the wing root fairing off, you should be able to see the mods on the rear spar and then also on the main spar if you use a flashlight and a mirror to look down the spar web. There should be some rib material removed from the 1st rib into about the 4-5th ribs to make room for some angles that will be bolted onto the back side of of the spar flange strips.

Vans does have the drawings. If you pull the wing root fairing off, you should be able to see the mods on the rear spar and then also on the main spar if you use a flashlight and a mirror to look down the spar web. There should be some rib material removed from the 1st rib into about the 4-5th ribs to make room for some angles that will be bolted onto the back side of of the spar flange strips.
Little misunderstanding on my part about the drawings. Ill pull the fairings and see what I can. Thanks!

Back