What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need your opinion please

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
I have worked myself up to the point that I feel I must roll the fuselage on its side, AND put it on a lower table. (check where I am in my kit log)
My thoughts are to use one of the shipping crates, and make me a short table, maybe 18-24 inches tall, then put the fuse on it on its side. I need more reasonable access to install fuel lines, brake lines, and other stuff down in the bottom of the cockpit.
For those of you have been there and done that, what say ye

Mine has been on its side for awhile on an old metal formica-topped desk. Then I moved it to its side on a Sam's club folding-leg table. I used a weight on a towel and a clamp to hold it steady while I installed all of the wiring and the control linkages. No problem with the access at all. Your build time is valuable. Just go to the Sams or Costco or maybe Lowes or Home Depot and get a few of these tables. They will be useful for all kinds of things after your build is done.

You will be amazed how much easier it is to access things when it is on its side Don. I think just be careful rolling it up. Get a few people to help. It should be stable but maybe secure it in case you push against it accidently while working.

A tip for when you use your flaring tool. Its real sad when make a section of your fuel line and flare the end without putting the fitting over the end. After doing this a few times I tied a string with a short section of fuel pipe on the end onto the flaring tool. It reminded me to place the fitting.

Julian 120316

Work table

Hi don from tx, We used one of the crates, I think it was the fuselage crate. We used 2x6"s for legs and brace them well, also tied rope from the garage trusses and tied it to the plane, you will be pushing and shoving on it. Suggest you make it even shorter to accommodate your even shorter legs:) Don from Ohio .

I have the tables already, but am thinking that since they are so high, when it was on its side I would have to have something to stand on to reach most of the innards (I am not very tall)
Mine has been on its side for awhile on an old metal formica-topped desk. Then I moved it to its side on a Sam's club folding-leg table. I used a weight on a towel and a clamp to hold it steady while I installed all of the wiring and the control linkages. No problem with the access at all. Your build time is valuable. Just go to the Sams or Costco or maybe Lowes or Home Depot and get a few of these tables. They will be useful for all kinds of things after your build is done.

When we put ours on its side, I attached a 2X4 8' long, upright in the middle of the bench. Then used bungee cords to secure the roll bar to the upright. I'm a strong advocate of cheap tables made from salvaged lumber and shipping crates. Cut the legs down to whatever height you want. Here is a photo of 2 that we made the same height for empennage to fuselage connection

Back