What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need Wing Rig Ideas

N223JH

Well Known Member
I would like to pick the brains of the clever forum folks for a good way to transport painted wings to the airport. They ain't painted yet but will be in about a month and I need something practical to do while paint dries.

Fuselage will go on a roll-up recovery truck but I can't visualize the wings load-bindered down to the deck sandwiched between mattresses. I have a timber-floor 6x10 trailer but don't have the engineering know-how to draw up the jig that would support the wings in a secure manner.

I would imagine a collar of some sort which would secure the spar extensions, extended forward over the neck of the trailer. Airport is 30 miles away over good roads but I am unsure about how to support the wings.

TIA for ideas; maybe I need to be accumulating mattresses?

Jim in San Antonio
RV12 #120264 FWF complete

A car trailer (enclosed type) is best in my opinion for both the fuse and wings. Two trips required as only one set goes in at a time. Place the wings on a wing stand (see many RV blogs for that) and roll the wings and stand in trailer tie it down and away you go. Weather not a problem.
Dick Seiders

wings

OK, you're saying the EAA wing caddy my wings are nestled in right now is just fine for the trip in an enclosed trailer... Those four carpet strips are sufficient support? I guess I could rig up additional carpet supports. Thanks.

Trailing the wings...

OK, you're saying the EAA wing caddy my wings are nestled in right now is just fine for the trip in an enclosed trailer... Those four carpet strips are sufficient support? I guess I could rig up additional carpet supports. Thanks.

Hi Jim,
I trailered my wings to the airport, a ferry ride and 15 miles, in a 12' utility U-Haul. They were resting in my EAA wing stand. I took the wheels off the wing stand for this. Here is a picture of how the wings were secured in the trailer:
[url=http://tonytessitore.smugmug.com/RV-12-Project-N577RV/RV-12-Wings/7598314_vimQN#784897498_evdVF-A-LB][/URL]

[url=http://tonytessitore.smugmug.com/RV-12-Project-N577RV/RV-12-Wings/7598314_vimQN#784897720_EtQAc-A-LB][/URL]

Tony

Last edited:
Tony, Of course... Removing the wheels from the caddy would make it much more stable. Then just screw the caddy to the deck and brace the wings. Thanks.

No need to pull the wheels off the caddy. Just tie it down using sufficient straps to immobilize it. It will work.
Dick Seiders

Trailer, cushions,... easy!

Don't make more of the job than it is. :) Just be sure it's supported underneath and the ties pull evenly and are padded. Drive carefully and it's done!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bill S
7a Flying next month!

I would also say go with the wing cart. The advantage is now you have a cart to put your wings on anytime you remove them.

FP08042010A0007C.jpg

I sold a Kolb Firestar to a gentleman who used a rental truck, like a Ryder truck, to haul it home. He used straps to attach the wings to the sides (inside, of course) of the shell, so that the wings were leading edge down. He padded the straps to eliminate chafe.

Worked quite nicely and left the inside of the shell for the fuselage and tail.

Back