What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need wing removal advice for transport

DeltaSierra

Well Known Member
I purchased a RV-3A project in Oregon. I need to remove the wings and transport to California. Seeking advice removing wings and transporting by trailer. Is anyone familiar with removing or installing the wings of a early model RV-3?
Are all the bolts accessible after removing the seat panel?
Would appreciate any advice.
Dave

wing removal

Dave
They are quite easy to remove. Once you remove the covers on both sides of the stick, you'll have the access you need to both sides of the spar. On an early 3 you could have close tolerance bolts or taper pins through the spars and plates. If you've got the pins, as soon as they are backed out a few thousanths, they are loose because of the taper, and come out easy.

good luck with the transport and the build

Dave,

If you do not have wing cradles, get some batons of insulation and wrap the wings in that to protect them.

Wings

Thanks for the post Stan.

I'll have a better idea of what I'm up against next weekend when I'll be at the plane.

I'll look for tapered pins instead of bolts. Could you elaborate further what a tapered pin is. Are they tapered bolts forced into a close toleranced hole?

I got the impression, from your description, a few taps with a center punch will loosen them enough they will then slide out....correct.
Dave

Bolts or taper pins

Dave
It could be either fastener. You will need a punch to push bolts out, but IF you have taper pins, just take the washers off, put the nut back on, then give the nut a tap with a small hammer (protect the threaded end of the taper pin). As soon as the taper pin has backed in a bit, they are loose. Aircraft Spruce has some nice pictures of taper pins, try giving that a google.

best

Back