What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need used sump part number 78915

jscottpilot

I bought a runout Beechcraft Duchess engine (O-360-A1G6D) for my RV 8. I have to change the sump to make it work on the RV8. The sump I need is part number 78915. Does anyone have a used one for sale or know of a used parts supplier that might have one?

Also, does anyone know if the induction tubes from the 360-A1G6D will work with the new sump?

No, they won't

Scott,
Your current intake tubes will not work with the new sump you need. FYI, the 78915 sump was used on the following variants of the O-360

A1A, A1AD, A1D, A1F6, A1F6D, A1LD, A2A, A2D, A2F, A3A, A3AD, A4A, A4M & A5AD

You need 4 part number 70485 intake tubes. Those tubes were used on all the above mentioned variants. Hope this helps. Info was obtained from Lycoming Parts Catalog PC-306-1b

Charlie
PS, sell your old sump and tubes together. There are 7 variants that use those parts.

I bought a runout Beechcraft Duchess engine (O-360-A1G6D) for my RV 8. I have to change the sump to make it work on the RV8. The sump I need is part number 78915. Does anyone have a used one for sale or know of a used parts supplier that might have one?

Also, does anyone know if the induction tubes from the 360-A1G6D will work with the new sump?

Are you planning on going carb'd or fuel injection? Since the sidedraft carb, you will need a new carb as well.

I suggest considering a forward facing sump (IO-360-A1A or IO-360-M style). You MAY even be able to bolt the side-draft to it, although I've never seen it done, and wouldn't recommend it. The side draft carbs are much more finicky in my experience.

With that suggestion comes the suggestion of going with Fuel Injection.

Last edited:
GO-300 carb

It will carbureted. Someone told me that you can adapt a carb from a Continental GO-300 to that sump. I have one here at the house. I will use it if my mech can make it work. Does anyone have any experience with that carb?

thanks for the info in the intake tubes. If you know where I can buy these used parts let me know. I tried Wentworth and couple other places.

thanks for the info in the intake tubes. If you know where I can buy these used parts let me know. I tried Wentworth and couple other places.

I suspect that due to Hurricane Irene, a fresh supply of Lycoming parts will soon be available. Problem is that the intake tubes usually get ruined in Hurricane damaged aircraft.
Charlie

Back