What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need Transition Training

cbowles

I'm New Here
Hi, new to this forum, hope this is the correct place for my request. I recently aquired a "new to me" RV 9 A and would like some help getting checked out in it. I am a current and frequent GlaStar pilot (250 hrs) but have no experience in low wing aircraft or any RV's.

My location is near Statesville, NC .

Chris Bowles

Chris, welcome to the VAF forum!

Do you need a CFI or just a person with RV-9 time?

There is a good CFI in Charlotte who sold his RV-7 last year who can do the training, if you need a CFI.

I ask because my insurance company only asked for me to have 3 hours in type before my first flight, not dual.

If that is all you need, I'll be happy to help out.

Last edited:
Hello Chris - welcome to the world of RV's!

You might want to take a look at the Vansaircraft web site, and see what they have to say about transition training:

http://vansaircraft.com/public/trainfly.htm

There are qualified instructors around the country ready to help out, and van's syllabus is built from decades and THOUSANDS of hours of transitioning pilots from all types of aircraft into the RV line. All aircraft have their unique characteristics, and it doesn't make any difference if you are going "up" or "down" in complexity or speed...I have had fighter jocks scare the heck out of me in a J-3 as I have had new pilots scare me in something with high performance.

Paul

Welcome Chris. Check out www.rvflightsafety.org as well. Some good info there about transition training. You might get in touch with Pierre Smith in South Carolina. He could definitely give you your transition training. He is pierre smith on this forum.

Have fun with your new airplane!

Yep

Welcome Chris. Check out www.rvflightsafety.org as well. Some good info there about transition training. You might get in touch with Pierre Smith in South Carolina. He could definitely give you your transition training. He is pierre smith on this forum.

Have fun with your new airplane!

....err...Georgia:)

I can do your training if you can somehow get down here. I'm still kinda busy with my spraying season but next week seems like it will be over.

PM me or call 478 494 3 seven fife seven.

Best,

Sorry about that Pierre! :eek: Don't know where SC came from. (No cracks about advancing age necessary!)

Back