What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need some advice from tool experts

joe gremlin

Well Known Member
Hi gang. I'm about to move one step closer to finally becoming a builder. The wife's company is moving her and we're under contract on real nice property in the new location. This particular property includes a 24x40 heated pole barn. The previous owner used it as a welding shop.

So here's where I could use some advice. The shop still has some tools and equipment remaining. When we asked what was to become of the stuff in the shop, the owner said he'd negotiate for anything in there. Most what's in there looks like junk. But there is a 5hp 220 compressor which looks like it isn't all that old and there's a 1-ton hoist on the ceiling. In addition, there is some sort of sideways band saw and radial arm saw. We've requested that those items stay with the shop but I'm expecting that he'll come back with a price or prices for each.

So the big questions are what would be a fair price for these items and/or do I even want them. I know that the compressor is probably a no-brainer. The only thing I'm thinking with the hoist is that it will come in handy for hanging the engine but otherwise I don't think I'll ever use it. I could see plenty of uses for the radial arm saw outside of RV build but I'm not sure the sideways band saw would be of any use. Any advice or comments appreciated.

Pics:
IMG_2509Medium.jpg

IMG_2512Medium.jpg

IMG_2513Medium.jpg

IMG_2514Medium.jpg

I wont be of much help but I can tell you that as long as the compressor works and builds pressure Id Offer up to about $200 you can come by a brand new compressor just like it for no more than $300. The Chain hoist I would say isnt really worth it. A HF Engine Hoist can be bought for $100 or so and they are always giving out 20% coupons so that makes them even cheaper. The Sideways saw is a band saw for cutting steel pipe, a necessity for any welder but not really practical for many other people. The chop saw again can be purchased for relatively cheap anywhere between $100 and $300 So id offer $50 maybe $75 and see what he says. Now if he comes back and says something like 300 bucks for it all, take it, you can never have too many tools!!

Hope this helps,
-david

I have a similar "sideways" saw...

... that I bought specifically for my -6A project. The intent for this type of saw is that you could set a steel pipe or other object on the table, turn on the motor, lower the blade, and when cut through, the motor is turned off automatically.

This saw can also be "raised" into a vertical position (like a normal band saw) and this is how you would normally place the long pipe objects on the fixture to be cut.

I fabricated a small-ish plywood table the bolts to the lower blade guide block. In the vertical position, this saw works very well for me in cutting aluminum. Just be sure to get a fine tooth blade.

Joe,

It's just an opinion but I would not take anything. Let them clear the barn completely you renovate it nicely and get all tools new or like new from fellow builders. It will be your place of enjoyment and escape for years. And you have time if I understood correctly...

Nothing worth keeping

Tell him to take everything with him. If he leaves it, have a garage sale.
Use that money for a trip to Harbor Freight. ;)

Gut the pole barn and start fresh with a proper shop Even those poles the hoist is on should be removed. Rip out all that stuff and make yourself a proper shop. Hire some teenagers to remove all the old shelves and/or repaint them and the walls. Install some over head lighting from Aircraft Home Depot. Patch any holes in the concrete floor and put a couple coats of a light colored Concrete Epoxy. You have an fantastic area for an airplane factory. Get a clean used refrigerator for beer and invite us all over.
Here's a reminder from Steve, our compressor.

ibkjnm.jpg

Agreed, I'd let him take the stuff but let him know that it's ok if he leaves it behind. He may not want, try to sell it and end up leaving it behind because it's easier.

Agreed, I'd let him take the stuff but let him know that it's ok if he leaves it behind. He may not want, try to sell it and end up leaving it behind because it's easier.

That's exactly what he's doing. We got the word today. He said all the stuff in the shop I asked for will stay. Which tells me that quite a few other things which I don't want will likely also stay. Oh well, that's what craigslist is for.

So now the biggest issue is getting to closing. There were a few mechanical issues with the house that we asked be fixed which they aren't going to do. I don't mind doing them myself but it might end up being a problem with the mortgage company if they don't have the stuff fixed before closing. Heck I'd even consider just driving over and fixing the stuff myself before any mortgage inspections except that 'driving over' requires a 12 hour drive and motel room. We're set to close at the end of the month. I'll be biting my nails until then.

I've been called frugal, cheap and old fashioned. But I've never been called wasteful.

I'd keep it all, but tell him: I can use some of the stuff and if you want to leave it, I'll clean the shop so you don't have to come back. Assuming everything works, I'd guess you will spend over $500 to replace just the air comp and band saw. The Radial arm saw is nice for building your work benches, saw horses etc and with right blade can even chop AL. The hoist if it's on a trolley saves you having to buy or borrow a engine picker. Looks like there is bins for small parts and a stand for your grinder/buffer. One way to brighten up the shop is to by some white metal siding and screw it to the studs with sheet rock screws(only a day to do the whole shop)

Clean up the stuff and put it to work. If it doesn't meet your standards you can always upgrade later(all it cost you was some elbow grease).

Recycle boys

Speaking of Harbor Freight, I didn't know they had retail locations. There was a Harbor Freight store in the strip mall next to the hotel we stayed in during our home inspection trip. Nice to know I'll be able to save the shipping costs on all my cheap/inferior tool needs once we move. ;)

Back