What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need rudder info

woodmanrog

Well Known Member
my 6A counterbalanced rudder has started developing some small cracks at a couple of rivets and has already had 2-1" cracks stop drilled. My buddy has suggested that we may have to build a new rudder. My question is, may a /7 rudder be installed on a 6? The rudder I have is the intermediate one before the 7 became available. Also, I heard that this cracking problem was pretty common. any comments would be helpful.
Woodman

RUDDER

The RV7 won't fit. It's just different.
I have one of the last 6A's and it's a RV8 rudder with the counter ballance.
Hope this helps

The RV7 won't fit. It's just different.
I have one of the last 6A's and it's a RV8 rudder with the counter ballance.
Hope this helps
The original 7 used the 8 rudder also, then later on (about 2005) they changed the 7 rudder to the bigger 9 rudder.

The cracks at the aft edge of the -6 rudder are caused by improper forming of the trailing edge radius. If that radius is not completely formed, cracks will start at the aft most rivets. My original -6 rudder (.016" skin) is still crack free after almost 18 years of flying.

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys. Big help. Mel, The cracks actually are appearing at the forward part of the rudder, apparently where a vertical support is riveted. i agree there must be some stress somewhere or it wouldn't happen. We'll get 'er done.
Woodman

Back