What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need ride from Enid OK to Ft Worth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubblehead

Well Known Member
My RV developed a seriously sick engine today during a quick trip to Kansas and I am stranded in Enid, OK.

I need to get home Sunday afternoon, and would pay for gas and lunch for a ride from KWDG Woodring to T67 Hicks.

I will post tomorrow on the problems but 4 hrs of troubleshooting revealed no reason for power loss, high EGT on first one then two cylinders.

Email me at jdalmansr at gmail.com or call 512 850 8339. Email address is in my profile too.

Thanks.

Charlie Calivas lives in Enid, but I don't have his contact info. The airport should have some info for Charlie since he hangars his rv-6 there.

Curtis - I'll check the phone book. Maybe Charlie is in ther, or I'll check with the airport.

To all - An alternative would be a ride by car to Oklahoma City or Tulsa where the airports have rental cars. The only rental car place in Enid is closed on Sundays!

Looks like it's covered

One of the guys from 52F Northwest Regional may come up to get me but there is patchy low ceilings at 52F and predicted strong cross winds

I also got a call from a local gentleman who offered a ride to Oklahoma City so I could get a rental car.

We'll see what develops on weather but may have to take rental car home.

VAF people are almost without exception, helpful, gracious and kind.

Now I just have to figure out what is wrong with N247TD. I'll post that info when I get home to get suggestions.

I can pick u up too

John,
I can pick you up, but the winds are pretty stout this afternoon. We might not be able to land at Hicks and have to land at Meacham instead. I have a Super Viking, but don't really like to land in more than 18 kts crosswind. Forecast at KAFW is for 260@43kt gusts around 3pm.

Call me at 972.965.5565 if you want me to fly up to get you.

-- will

Thank you Will

Hats off to Will and his Super Viking for coming up to Oklahoma and bringing me back to the promised land. Winds were an issue. The headwind component slowed us way down and and the cross wind component prevented a return to Wills hanger at Northwest Refional. Ft Worth Meacham's Rwy 27 was the smart alternative and Will did a great job.

Tomorrow I'll post a thread with some specifics of the engine issues that required landing at Enid. Compression and timing checked out ok and fuel flow appeared good but engine acted like it was being starved for fuel. The RSA control unit and flow divider are going to Don's place for flow test and inspection Monday.

My thanks to all the guys who called with offers of help. Great bunch of people here.

<snip> The RSA control unit and flow divider are going to Don's place for flow test and inspection Monday.

Just tossing this recent personal experience into the pot... cold starts were becoming less predictable over a two week period. Then one day at full power on take-off came the cough and sputter of fuel starvation. Run-up was ok and idle was ok... but when the engine needed a volume of fuel, it just wasn't there. Don answered the phone on this particular Saturday and after we field checked the flow divider (removed cover) it was found that the shaft from the spring load to the diaphragm was in a severe bind. Sent the RSA and divider in for service... RSA checked ok but divider required complete rebuild. I mention this in the off chance that you might want to check your divider before it goes to Don.

Great info

Thanks for the great information, Ernie. I am planning on sending both units to Don for checking and also replacing the hose that connects the two. That hose is at least 10 years old and may be restricting fuel or shedding little pieces of rubber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back