What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need Pic's of ELT Antenna at emp Fairing

SHORTRV7

Well Known Member
Would someone happen to have any pictures of the installation of their ELT antenna under the Emp Fairing?
Thanks

I forgot where I stole this picture :D I hope the owner will forgive me.

Don, there is one

eltintail.jpg

Would someone happen to have any pictures of the installation of their ELT antenna under the Emp Fairing?
Thanks
Secured in three locations, these photos illustrates how I installed the ELT antenna in my -6A:

2hs9res.jpg

Rick,

Are you concerned about antenna effectiveness? It does not seem to have a ground plane since the antenna is not mounted directly to the airframe.

John

Rick,

Are you concerned about antenna effectiveness? It does not seem to have a ground plane since the antenna is not mounted directly to the airframe.

John
Not really. I am more concerned about the record of ELT effectiveness (or lack of it) in real world operations. Certainly, this installation would not be approved in certificated airplanes. Still, a periodic functional ELT test seems to indicate it works okay.

I am not sure it's a good idea to mount the antenna internally. I certainly would like to avoid the parasitic drag and appearance penalty, but I also want it to work if I need it. How are others viewing this?

I am not sure it's a good idea to mount the antenna internally. I certainly would like to avoid the parasitic drag and appearance penalty, but I also want it to work if I need it. How are others viewing this?

I want a system that works as designed and is effective, so I put it on top of the tailcone, with a sufficient ground plane. For that reason, I also went with a 406 model. Yes, it's butt-ugly there. If I was going to put it under the empennage fairing, I'd get the cheapest used 121.5 model I could find to be legal and have a reliable replacement that was acceptable to me (e.g. SPOT).

-Rob

Someone will be sure to correct me if I'm wrong but I've been told Van's has been known to mount an ELT antenna under the empennage fairing.

If you do a search, there's a lot of discussion about this issue. There's a lot of factors for the effectiveness of an ELT and very little predictability for any of them. My take is that an ELT may (possibly) help someone find my remains. It will probably not get help to me in time if I am seriously injured (though a recent incident tends to controvert that). If I am not seriously injured, I will most likely depend on a combination of PLB/radio/cellphone - assuming any are functioning. For the record, my -6A has it's ELT antenna under the empennage fairing; I am not sure where the antenna is going on the -10 yet.

No positive self test = no legal operation

I mounted the ELT antenna under the emp. fairing, but could not get the Artex ME406 ELT to perform a positive ?self test?. After Installing the antenna on the rear fuselage it was OK.

No use in having an ELT that does not work at all (not legal also, we are required to have a working 406 Mhz ELT).

Regards, Tonny.

Not really. I am more concerned about the record of ELT effectiveness (or lack of it) in real world operations. Certainly, this installation would not be approved in certificated airplanes. Still, a periodic functional ELT test seems to indicate it works okay.

I agree on the effectiveness comment, and if it passes the test, great.

I carry a SPOT and don't worry about the ELT except to change batteries every two years and do the required operational check. I also use flight following a lot when I'm flying >1 hour legs or over really inhospitable territory. It probably won't save my life but they'll have an idea of where to look for the carcass.

I also keep a KX-99 handheld charged and wrapped in bubble wrap in the front baggage compartment as a backup. If I'm alive and can get to it at least I can communicate.

It just occurred to me to ask about the "voice" feature of ELT's. Does anyone carry a mike with them to plug in or a PTT button to use with a headset to send voice communications out via the ELT?

Back