What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need pics of 9A forward fuse area

airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
My intention is to run dual electric fuel pumps and no engine-mounted fuel pump, and I will therefor need to mount 2 electric fuel pumps somewhere. The wingroot area is an option, but it's a tight work area - I'm wondering about the forward fuse area around the landing gear mounts. Can some of you with finished birds take a few shots of this area so I can see what I'm up against as far as finished-aircraft available room for mounting the pumps here? As it stands right now I've got PLENTY room - but I don't know what else will compete for that room later on as I finish out the cabin.

Greg,

No photos but the potential contenders in my setup anyway are the throttle quadrant (as you saw when I visited), fuel selector valve, and manual trim cable (if you go that route). I would have plenty of room to put in a second electric pump, probably forward of the existing boost pump. As long as you're not playing footsie with the passenger, should fit fine.

greg

For safety reasons, I'm not following why you would want to go with no mechanical fuel pp on a low wing airplane? Loss of all electrical (for any number of reasons) could become a serious problem in short order.

My Forward Fuse pics are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerv9a/ForwardFuse#

True statement, and this issue has already been hashed to death in several previous threads. To sum it up, I want a solid IFR-capable machine with a glass panel, so I will have dual complete electrical systems for redundancy. Losing all the electrons in a glass-panel plane in IMC would be just about as deadly as losing power, so electrical redundancy is a must-have. With that issue addressed, I also want to run mogas without worrying about vapor lock, so I'm eliminating the fuel heater (engine driven pump). With a good solid dual electrical system, the fear factor of electrical pumps is removed - and before anyone starts crying about pump failures, I'll point out that I will have two of those also, one pulling out of each wing tank. I didn't hatch this plan last night, there's been a lot of thought (and more than a little intelligent engineering) put into it.

Thanks for worrying about me though, I probably need a little of that!

Last edited:
Greg,

No photos but the potential contenders in my setup anyway are the throttle quadrant (as you saw when I visited), fuel selector valve, and manual trim cable (if you go that route). I would have plenty of room to put in a second electric pump, probably forward of the existing boost pump. As long as you're not playing footsie with the passenger, should fit fine.

greg

I hadn't considered that location, that just might work too. I was thinking more along the lines of the gear mount area (on a 9A) to keep it out of way. I'll size it up and see how it works.

Greg, I look at you builder web site.

You have already install the gear weldment. That is all there is in that area except the fuel lines. If the pump is small enough I would mount it under the weldment. The weldment would keep it from being stepped on. Or you could mount them closer to the selector, but you would need to build some frame to keep them from being stepped on.

Good luck with you fuel design, Kent.

If you go with two ANDAIR fuel pumps in the same location as Vans indicated in their plans for their pumps you"ll be alright. I JUST INSTALLED MY ANDAIR PUMP IN THAT SAME CENTER LOCATION WITH PLENTY OF ROOM FOR A SECOND PUMP. andair PUMP HAS 1 FUEL LINE IN AND ONE FUEL LINE OUT. CHECK THEIR WEBSITE. IAM BUILDING THE QB 9A. Ron in Oregon

Back