What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need Indy flight instructor ASAP

kritsher

Well Known Member
I just finished building an RV-12. It has 8 hours on it and flies great. Unfortunately, my test pilot/instructor has been injured and I'm trying to find another CFI in the Indy area to give me my 5 hours of instruction (to satisfy my insurance company), either in my plane or another RV-12.

Thanks for any advice!

We have a couple of CFIs at OVO that instruct in RV12s. It is about 20 miles from Columbus, probably 60 miles from Indy. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Bob

Thanks Bob,

I saw your post in another thread recommending Ron Huddleston. I sent you an email through this site (not a PM) and I will give you a call at the number you listed in that other post tomorrow.

Ken,

You mentioned that you would receive instruction in your plane.
I may not be correct but I understand that until you have 40 hrs of phase one on your plane two people cannot ride in your plane. I just did not want you to carry a passenger and then have something happen and your insurance be invalid.
Please check that before you do as I may be incorrect in my thinking.
Dave/Greenfield IN.

Thanks for the heads-up Dave. As an ELSA, my RV-12 has a phase 1 test period of 5 hours, not 40. But you're right: no dual instruction during phase one.

I had trouble finding someone to give me instruction to satisfy my insurance co.
I needed an RV7A airplane with an instructor. I could not find one locally. I found one in Minnesota. I contacted the fellow and he agreed to do the extra 2 hrs. But I pleaded with my insurance co. and they agreed to let me do it in a RV7. That instructor is in Columbus IN. So all worked out fine. I now have 33.7 hrs in the 7A. Almost done with phase 1.
Best to you in your effort.
Dave

Yet another reason this forum/website is so awesome: somebody in Florida saw my posting and called his CFI buddy in Indianapolis, who contacted me. After sorting it out with the insurance company, we went up today and will go up again in a few days to finish my 5 hours of dual.

(strangely, my insurance company preferred this CFI, who is a corporate jet FO but has just 10 hours of RV-10 time and no LSA time, over another CFI I know who has hundreds of hours of Evektor Sportstar LSA hours - the Sportstar being the most similar non-RV plane I know of to the -12.)

Anyway, thanks to the anonymous friend who saw my original post and hooked me up!

Back