What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need help with the pitot changes for the Skyview upgrade

DanWright

Well Known Member
I have reviewed sections 31b pages 20-21 and 42D-03 and have some questions:
  • How much should I leave in the avionics area?
  • How much should I leave for the aft section?
  • Is the splice really necessary if I have enough of the tubing?

At this time the tail cone is not attached so I have room to work.

Thanks

Dan

Tubing is cheap. I want out and bought all new tubing and installed it like a new installation. I did not want to deal with any splices. Once you put your fuel tank in it will be hard to go back and check for leaks.

Leave about 2 feet extra at the top of the tailcone and you can trim to fit. I have not done the firewall forward yet, but I have plenty of extra.

I took a lot of pictures so check out my build site

The tubing used from the pitot tube to behind the firewall is a special high temperature tubing. If you deviate from the construction manual and replace it with any old poly tubing, it may cause you problems

I remember being somewhat confused as to if I selected the correct tubing from my shelf when I installed it. How does the firewall-forward tubing compare visually to the tailcone tubing?

Scott,

The heat issue is a good catch. I'll have to test each to see if I have a problem. I may end up with a splice after all.

ct

I remember being somewhat confused as to if I selected the correct tubing from my shelf when I installed it. How does the firewall-forward tubing compare visually to the tailcone tubing?

I can't remember the appearance differences (they are quite similar though), but the high temp tubing is delivered with a part # sticker that matches what is called out in the plans (and is only long enough to reach from the pitot tube to the instrument panel).

In my case I think the sticker had come off - but there was only one piece of tubing on the shelf that was pre-cut to that plans length and I used that.

Back