What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need help with Sioux rivet gun

P-Squared

I'm New Here
I have a used Sioux 3x rivet gun. Problem is that most of the time it doesn't work: air just hisses past the rivet set instead of the expected tap-tap-tap action.

I've tried oiling (weeks ago), different rivet sets, and my favorite, banging it on a block of wood. Maybe it's my imagination but the latter seems to help it. But when it works properly it only lasts a few seconds then stops and hisses air at me.

Any suggestions on fixing this?

I've never taken one apart but it sounds like an O-ring worn out to me.
Had a cleco gun do the same thing ... replaced o-ring ... fixed.
Good luck.

It's one of the best guns out there...I have one and it's great...do yourself a favor and send it in for repair, unless you have the right tools and documentation to do the inspection and repair you will only make it worse...you're looking at a two week or less turnaround. I had to send my drill in for some blow by...It was working fine..just bled air..I love that rivet gun. The trigger is so perfect I could get it to tap once...and only once if needed...wonderful tool.

I have a used Sioux 3x rivet gun. Problem is that most of the time it doesn't work: air just hisses past the rivet set instead of the expected tap-tap-tap action.

I've tried oiling (weeks ago), different rivet sets, and my favorite, banging it on a block of wood. Maybe it's my imagination but the latter seems to help it. But when it works properly it only lasts a few seconds then stops and hisses air at me.

Any suggestions on fixing this?

I had a used 2X with the same symptoms, turned out to be old oil from the previous owner had gummed up the mechanism inside. Ironically, oiling it heavily during use only made it worse because it softened up the old oil and allowed the problem to spread. I finally solved it by zip-tieing the trigger down, turn it upside down and pour maybe a half-ounce of lacquer thinner in the air fitting, then connect the air for a few seconds to blow it out. Lather, rinse, repeat. I did that 4 times, gave it some fresh oil, and now it hums like a Mazda (or Subie :p). Since this rehab treatment, I've done both flaps and both ailerons with it, not a single problem.

It might not have been "user friendly" to some of the O-rings inside, but it was field-expedient and it worked. YMMV.

Last edited:
The standard method is to use light oil such as Marvel Mystery Oil. Without the air connected, fill it while holding the trigger down so it will fill--if you don't hold the trigger it won't take much oil. Then crank up the pressure & with a rivet set against a block, let'er rip. Repeat as required.

If you have the nerve, you can take off the wide black ring at the back of the barrel & disassemble it, clean it up & put it back together. I didn't try this until I had already bought a replacement gun, but the only challenge was getting the ring off & on. And I didn't find any obvious crud, but I did clean everything up well & it works fine.

Next choice is send it to Bob Avery.

Rivet guns seem to last a very long time and I guess my gun, judging by the many scratches and gouges on it, must have driven millions of rivets.

Follow up

Guys, thanks for the great advice. I poured acetone through it, then lacquer thinner (separately...no mixed cocktails here). Didn't see any gunk come out and didn't expect any improvement. But when I connected the air line and tried it, it worked great. As others said, a little light oil completed the "repair".

Back