What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need Help With Fiberglass On Elevators

Michael Brown

I am working on the fiberglass on my elevators and I really don't understand what to do with the lead exposed on the leading edge. I have looked around and everything I have found seems to be a different design where the lead is bolted to the side rather than the leading edge. I would greatly appreciate any help.... Thanks

Try this...

Michael,

First, prep is really important.

Take a file and file down the forward facing portion of the weight so that the aluminum skin that wraps the inboard portion could extend all the way outboard.

Second, use the file to make a nice round radius on the forward face (like 1/8th inch radius).

Third, file the outboard face of the lead with a file until the tip fits real nice. Don't worry about removing too much, there is plenty of lead. Even if there is a gap, that is OK.

Finally, trim the fiberglass piece so that the forward cut is right at the end of the radius. Then bevel the fiberglass on the forward edge back about 1", removing the gel coat and exposing the fiberglass.

When that is ready and the tip fits nice, mix up epoxy. Paint the outboard of the lead. Then mix in microballoons in the epoxy. Paint the outboard of the lead with the micro mixture, put the tip on, put in the pop rivets, then smooth any epoxy that has squished out.

LET IT HARDEN COMPLETELY.

Smooth the micro out with sandpaper.

Get two pieces of 9oz. cloth and cut it out so that it matches the face of the lead. The inboard end will butt up to the aluminum skin on the arm. Leave about 1/4 inch excess on the lead itself.

Also, cut out some peel-ply that is another 1/4 inch excess on the excess cloth, it too will but the aluminum.

Mix your epoxy and wet the surface of the lead. Lay up your two layers, one at a time, making sure to fully saturate the cloth. Don't OVER saturate. Finally, put the peel ply on the face and carefully brush out. Don't move the cloth underneath.

Now come the tricky part. You can do this immediately, or wait until the epoxy is just starting to gel, if you know epoxy well enough. Take some masking tape the peel ply down. Start with one big piece from the center of the lead back along the aluminum. Pull fairly tight, but don't move layers. Then in a radiating patern, put tape from the center of the lead in small pieces pulling the layers down over the fiberglass tip.

LEAVE IT TO HARDEN COMPLETELY.

Take it all apart, file and sand any edges that stick up. Fill the weave and any gaps with MicroBalloons/Epoxy. Sand.

Will turn out really nice.

Thanks alot... I will give this try. I have do some shopping first. (epoxy, etc.) I really wish I had removed more lead before riveting this together. Live and learn.....
Thanks Again!

Back