What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need help for my panel planning

vinodwahi

Hi guys

right now I am planning to purchase the circuit breakers and switches for my avionics. my panel layout (it is already cut) is attached. my questions:

- Landing Lights:
i have two, one left, one right. Is a 10Amp CB sufficient? (to use for both Lights)

- Whelen Strobes/Nav:
I would like to installl the Microburst 2 Kit from Whelen. What CB do I have to use if I would like to have one CB for both (Strobes and Nav)?

- Avionic Master Switch:
Which switch did you guys use as a Avionic Switch (to switch on/off all avionic items)? This would include Dynon EFIS+EMS+SL30+GPS 496+TXP (TT21 Trig)+AutoPilot(TrueTrak and AltTrack)? I am not quite sure, as the sum of all Amps is around 25-30, which would be too high for the normal switches, correct? What should I do?

- Autpilot:
I have the Autopilot TrueTrack and AltTrack (Altitude and Course). Should I use an own Autopilot Master switch or are the On/Off Buttons sufficient enough on the instruments?

- GPS Mouse:
I have a GPS GArmin 496. Which GPS Mouse should I use as the primary GPS source?

Trim / Flaps:
Can somebody recommend using the EFIS 100 as an indicator for the Trim and Flaps or is it too complex to get connected to the EFIS?

Thank you very much guys!
Cheers and best regards from Germany!
Sunit (RV9a)

A few comments (opinions) ...

Hi guys

right now I am planning to purchase the circuit breakers and switches for my avionics. my panel layout (it is already cut) is attached. my questions:

- Landing Lights:
i have two, one left, one right. Is a 10Amp CB sufficient? (to use for both Lights)

- Whelen Strobes/Nav:
I would like to installl the Microburst 2 Kit from Whelen. What CB do I have to use if I would like to have one CB for both (Strobes and Nav)?

- Avionic Master Switch:
Which switch did you guys use as a Avionic Switch (to switch on/off all avionic items)? This would include Dynon EFIS+EMS+SL30+GPS 496+TXP (TT21 Trig)+AutoPilot(TrueTrak and AltTrack)? I am not quite sure, as the sum of all Amps is around 25-30, which would be too high for the normal switches, correct? What should I do?

- Autpilot:
I have the Autopilot TrueTrack and AltTrack (Altitude and Course). Should I use an own Autopilot Master switch or are the On/Off Buttons sufficient enough on the instruments?

- GPS Mouse:
I have a GPS GArmin 496. Which GPS Mouse should I use as the primary GPS source?

Trim / Flaps:
Can somebody recommend using the EFIS 100 as an indicator for the Trim and Flaps or is it too complex to get connected to the EFIS?

Thank you very much guys!
Cheers and best regards from Germany!
Sunit (RV9a)

- Landing lights ....

The CB size for the lights depends upon which lights you are using. Divide the bulb wattage by 12 and add say 10-20%.

You might want to have breaker for each light if you have the space. You would not want a problem with one light to take out the other just as you were about to land in the dark.

- Whelen strobes

They should specify on the unit what the current draw is, along with a recommendation on the breaker size in the documentation, I think. Again as above, you can make an estimate if you have the watts (volts x amps) or if you have the actual amps. Whatever the stated amps (on the box or in the documentation), take that and "round up".

These lights (strobes and navs) draw more current than many would think. Here again, I would have a separate breaker for the strobes and one for the navs.

-Avionics Master Switch
If you want to switch 30 amps of avionics, you probably should be considering a "relay" for this. That is a lot of current to run through a switch of the type you are likely to use in your airplane.

- GPS mouse
The Garmin x96 series have a remote GPS antenna built specifically for the unit. You probably have that somewhere and it works great.

James

Back